Image not available

644x713

Camille.jpg

🧵 /MTB/ mountain biking general

Anonymous No. 132399

>I would be camille balanche's saddle edition

Post real mtb qt 3.14s

FAQ:
> What good bike can I get for under $500?
a stolen bike. Possibly a newer used entry level hardtail but don't expect it to survive rock gardens, jumps, or drops. Or an older mtb which won't be as good as newer ones and will still have a front derailleur, but it'll be good enough.
> What good bike can I get for under $1000
Used hardtail
> What good bike can I get for under $2000?
New Hardtail
> What good bike can I get for under $3000?
Used full suspension
> What are the excellent value brands?
Marin, Commencal, Canyon, Polygon, YT, Propain, Kona, and many more. Sometimes the expensive brands have an excellent value bike
> What are the differences between an XC, Trail, Enduro, and Downhill bikes?
XC bikes are for going up fast, go down not as fast. Trail are bikes are for going up and down. Enduro bikes are for going down fast, and slower up. Downhill bikes are for going down really fast, needs a ski lift, truck, or the rider pushing it to go up.

Anonymous No. 132401

Previously in /mtb/
>>125052

Anonymous No. 132403

>>132372
Then it's a good thing I have the extra pair of maxxis tires.

Anonymous No. 132404

>>132399
Ok

Anonymous No. 132410

Did anybody even ask about buying a mountain bike last thread why are we acting like this is tentative bike purchase general

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20230114_2122....jpg

Anonymous No. 132411

While I wait for onyx to deliver my hubs to NOBL, I'll just get started on putting what I can together so when the wheels get delivered, all I have to do is slap the tires, sealant, and cassette on them, and adjust the derailleur

Image not available

421x530

louise.jpg

Anonymous No. 132419

>>132399
>Post real mtb qt 3.14s

Image not available

3264x2448

16737430066661613....jpg

Anonymous No. 132421

>>132411
Mexibro Why go with e-thirteen cranks?

Every e-thirteen product that my friends or I have ever owned was a piece of shit.
>Pic related in my case

>>132399
>Post real MTB QT3.14
I currently know zero wish I knew more. I have a theory that they get into MTB by way of their spouse or boyfriend and then realize how fun it is.

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20230115_0110....jpg

Anonymous No. 132427

>>132421
I got them because they were incredibly well priced on a sale, the price was too good to pass up for """enduro""" carbon cranks that are guaranteed to work with superboost spacing. I originally planned to get another raceface atlas since it has proven itself so well on my Following. If these end up breaking, I'll replace them with raceface Atlas, 5DEV Trail/Enduro, or raceface Era if I'm feeling baller. A lot of riders cream their jorts over cane creek eewing cranks, but I don't want to spend all that money on titanium cranks unless they're a real game changer that makes me ride like a pro.
I'll work on the brakes and rear derailleur tomorrow. I lost a lot of time cutting the steerer tube on the fork because I used a pipe cutter instead of a hacksaw and saw guide. A pipe cutter does work, but it takes so much more time.
I really hope Onyx delivered the hubs to NOBL. I ordered the wheels in the middle of November and the estimate was going to be 4-5 weeks, then it became the 2nd week of January. The previous wheelset I ordered from them was also delayed 2 months because BERD and Industry Nine were behind on their shipments.

Image not available

681x539

brap18.png

Anonymous No. 132428

I don't know any trail cuties but I've seen a few.
1 was fixing up the switchbacks on Serpentine trail at Camp Tamarancho during a build day. Thank you for your service, ma'am
2 of them were riding with 2 other guys and one of the dudes had a very spectacular crash. I offered to help but the guy didn't have any bleeding wounds.
another 2 were riding with another guy and they asked me and my friend to show them around the park. I think the blue trail we warmed up on scared them off.
Another was an absolutely supreme PAWG riding a Juliana. I wish I would have talked to her so I could have pumped her full of nut but she was riding with her mom and at the time, I wanted to go down the trail a lot more than I wanted to go down on her.

Anonymous No. 132430

>>132428
Since we are talking about people we have seen, not know.
I went out and rode up the lift at Sugar on opening day with a girl who I thought was a guy from her voice and the way she dressed, as mtb kit and a full face makes a girl with no tits identical looking to a man. The two non flat chested girls who were her friends blew me off, possibly because I blew past them on the green flow-trail earlier that day but the flat chested one was super chill, and I had a nice conversation on the lift up. She was sticking to riding the blues but I was doing laps of Show N' Go so I didn't talk to her for the rest of the day.

Another one is My college MTB club went on a Trip to Beech Mountain and there were two girls both were super cool, and pretty good, ones brother and boyfriend also rode with us. I had lots of fun as that was my first real park day riding with a big group of friends. I got a cool video of guy accidentally nose manualing the landing of the moderately sized table at the bottom.
Third time is that I got an outdoorsy female friend to try doing some easy XC.
Not a cute girl but rode with some Attractive women later twenties possibly early thirties, with their Husbands/Boyfriends the entire group are awesome people and good enough riders.

That and talked to yet another early thirties woman and her boyfriend at another downhill park, I also saw Neko Mullaly durability testing his frameworks bike there and he gave me a rundown of what all the trails at the park were like, and what to watch out for.

If I learned anything this year its that Older women are far more chill and generally better riders than
early twenties late teens girls.
And that xc riders have similar temperment to roadies, while the mtb crowd beyond that is generally chill.

I'm twenty for reference.

Anonymous No. 132431

>>132430
>And that xc riders have similar temperment to roadies
XC is basically roads, but dirt roads
As far as I know

Image not available

1080x1350

cyclist.jpg

🗑️ Anonymous No. 132432

>>132430
>Older women are far more chill and generally better riders than early twenties late teens girls.

I swear this is a fact. One of the days I was riding, there was an all female group ride. The older women (40+) were in the front and shredding hard, meanwhile all the younger women were in the back and comfort braking the whole way on entry level bikes. The ones in the back obviously didn't ride much because they were really slow up and down, I think they're both new to riding and they only do the once a month group rides. I felt bad for one of them because I turned my bell on way before I ever got to her so she wouldn't panic and know I was coming up, but she still ate shit on a switchback trying to get out of my way. Ironically, her crashing is what hindered me.

> And that xc riders have similar temperment to roadies, while the mtb crowd beyond that is generally chill.
I'm a roadie too and I'm always talking to other roadies and they're always talking to me when we're out riding. I don't do any group rides either, I just talk to whoever I run into. They always ask me if I'm alright when I'm taking a break on the side of the road. Roadies aren't dicks, but they come off as them because they're always in a hurry and very performance focused. While a MTBer is usually out there purely for fun and not always to get a strava PR, roadies are almost always pushing their limits. One other thing, MTBers congregate around trailheads, and roadies don't really stop anywhere, so you don't really get much of a chance to hang out unless it's the top of a mountain climb.

Image not available

1080x1350

cyclist.jpg

Anonymous No. 132433

>>132430
>Older women are far more chill and generally better riders than early twenties late teens girls.

I swear this is a fact. One of the days I was riding, there was an all female group ride. The older women (40+) were in the front and shredding hard, meanwhile all the younger women were in the back and comfort braking the whole way on entry level bikes. The ones in the back obviously didn't ride much because they were really slow up and down, I think they're both new to riding and they only do the once a month group rides. I felt bad for one of them because I turned my bell on way before I ever got to her so she wouldn't panic and so she would know I was coming up, but she still ate shit on a switchback trying to get out of my way. Ironically, her crashing is what hindered me.

> And that xc riders have similar temperment to roadies, while the mtb crowd beyond that is generally chill.
I'm a roadie too and I'm always talking to other roadies and they're always talking to me when we're out riding. I don't do any group rides either, I just talk to whoever I run into. They always ask me if I'm alright when I'm taking a break on the side of the road. Roadies aren't dicks, but they come off as them because they're always in a hurry and very performance focused. While a MTBer is usually out there purely for fun and not always to get a strava PR, roadies are almost always pushing their limits. One other thing, MTBers congregate around trailheads, and roadies don't really stop anywhere, so you don't really get much of a chance to hang out unless it's the top of a mountain climb.

Image not available

1209x1612

20230114_193512.jpg

Anonymous No. 132458

Almost got scammed by a bike shop yesterday. I laced up the new rim and I took it to have the spokes tensioned and the rim centered just before I left I asked how it would be. 50€ just for that. They charge 80€ if they build the wheel(they also take apart the wheel to recover the hub). I should've gone to the other store, they quoted me 25€ to do it but were closed.
>black/silver spokes

Image not available

888x1080

Screenshot_202211....jpg

Anonymous No. 132459

>>132428
I've met only 2. First was a qt redhead girl a bit younger than me, we started at the same place but decided not to ask her to join me. I then regretted it. While resting and thinking about riding with her, she came and asked if I knew the place and how can she ride the top part of the mountain. I gave her the directions and continued riding. During the descent I realize how retarded I was. She smelled pretty nice(fruits?) and seemed bubbly during the 5min chat.
Second was another redhead I was out riding with, she stank. I had to ride on the other side of the road during the climb as I couldn't stand it. She was qt but my eyes were watering.

Image not available

830x468

brap6.jpg

Anonymous No. 132481

>>132459
>Second was another redhead I was out riding with, she stank

>>132427
I got to work on installing the brakes and derailleur today. I don't know if it's Hayes' fault, or the pinkbike bike shop I bought the brakes from, but this pair of brakes did not come with extra compression bushings so I could do a trim and bleed, and the old ones are impossible to take off so I ordered a pack of ten of them so this doesn't happen to me again. The first pair I bought that I'm still using on my rideable mtb came with extra bushings.
Installing the XX1 rd and shifter went fine.
Before you ask me why I wasted money on putting XX1 components on an enduro bike, I got them used for $200, and I could not find XTR, XT, or X01 in the summer. I really considered getting GX AXS again since the set up is so, so easy, and I hate fucking with cable tension, but I didn't think it was worth the additional cost since this build already ran way over budget.

Image not available

480x360

1673424316526561.gif

Anonymous No. 132521

>>132421
>Every e-thirteen product that my friends or I have ever owned was a piece of shit.
100% true, i did a demo day on YT bikes a while back and every bike had a near non-functioning e13 dropper

Anonymous No. 132539

Any Anons here have experience with cleaning bikes during freezing weather? I spent 30 minutes longer than normal cleaning my hardtail today trying to get off frozen mud off it. Couldn't really think of anything besides hot soapy water.

Anonymous No. 132548

>>132539
I find that if it's cold enough that mud freezes then it doesn't get flung onto my bike in the first place. I would say leave it somewhere indoors like a garage or bathtub where it can melt. Giving it a shower doesn't sounds like that bad of an idea.

Image not available

683x750

bikewash.png

Anonymous No. 132549

>>132548
I've heard that doing it in the shower will ruin the pipes depending on what washes off

Anonymous No. 132550

>>132549
There is nothing on a bicycle that is corrosive or damaging to metal, a lot of it is illegal to send down the drain but whatevsies. Clogging may be a concern if you’ve got, like, pancakes of oily mud flaking off your bike all over I guess

Anonymous No. 132554

>>132549
I took my stripped frame in the shower once and even just that was a 2/10 experience, I can wash off everything that needs to be washed off with a garden hose and 90 seconds

Anonymous No. 132557

>>132550
>Clogging may be a concern if you’ve got, like, pancakes of oily mud flaking off your bike all over I guess
That's what I meant. If you're sending rocks down the drain, you're going to be causing problems.

Anonymous No. 132568

>>132539
Don't you have a car wash near? I use the pressure washer which uses warm water. Just don't hit the bearings alot, the rest I clean it with a cloth

Anonymous No. 132659

>>132568
I think the car wash is definitely the best move. I haven't ridden in both muddy and freezing conditions, but whenever I go get muddy, without access to a garden hose I go for the car wash.
A pro tip is to cover your eyes and have a friend pressure wash you with all your gear on.

Anonymous No. 132854

Went to a new local bike shop, they had 2bolt cleat nuts which is apparently hard to find, also the owner was pretty cool, when I get a job I will definitely try to either shop there or wait until spring and then work there.

Image not available

2000x1506

PXL_20220924_1736....jpg

Anonymous No. 132860

It'll be dry enough to ride this weekend. I've been stuck to road cycling so far this year.
It's supposedly hero dirt over at Skeggs but I'm expecting a lot of debris and downed trees on the trails. I wonder when I'll be able to go back to JMP again because that park gets a lot of downed trees when weather is a lot milder and it's been extreme the past month

Image not available

768x489

rtgergt.jpg

Anonymous No. 132924

>>132399
let me guess you "need" more

Image not available

3264x2448

16742459188686367....jpg

Anonymous No. 132940

>>132924
>I dont

Anonymous No. 132959

>>132940
thats hot
looks good with the chunky back tyre

Anonymous No. 132960

>>132860
modern bikes are so inelegant
look at that thing
must be a maintenance nightmare

Image not available

500x500

onyx-stans-03.jpg

Anonymous No. 132961

Just got word from NOBL that the onyx hubs finally arrived and they just began lacing up the BERD spokes. They expect to ship me the wheels on Wednesday or Thursday.
Specs on the wheels are:
29" 32H NOBL TR38 rims
BERD Polylight Spokes
Onyx Classic hubs in Aura black. Uses an alloy SRAM XD driver, getting the rear in Superboost and the front in normal boost, and they take centerlock disc brakes. I prefer wheels to use centerlock brakes just because I can stick 6 bolt brakes on them with an adapter, or centerlock brakes on them without doing anything special.

I ordered the beefiest rims NOBL sells because I'll be using this bike for hitting nasty rock gardens and some really chunky stuff, hopefully park duty in the summer too if I manage to get off my ass and make a trip to a place with a lift or shuttle service. I'll still be hitting chunk with my other trail bike, just not as hard or fast since it's what's referred to by pinkbike as a "down country" bike.
I'm really excited, I ordered these wheels back on November 15 and I started collecting parts for the bike in June. I turned 30 in September and this bike is my birthday gift to myself

Anonymous No. 132962

>>132960
Not at all, I just clean the suspension and dropper post with fork lube every few rides to keep it smooth. I spend more time maintaining my gravel bike since I have 3 wheelsets for it and it gets more use since I can ride it out of the house instead of needing to load it onto my car to go somewhere at least 20 minutes away to hit some real trails.
The 50 hour services on the fork and rear shock are really quick and easy too. I can do both in under an hour if I take my time. I'm just glad I don't have a Specialized Enduro which has a grand total of 28 bearings for the rear suspension linkage.

Anonymous No. 132963

>>132962
tragic

Anonymous No. 132964

>>132963
That's the price I pay for performance and fun. As much as I like the clean look of internal cable routing, I would never choose it over the ease of having external cable routing if I could buy identical frames.

>>132940
Why did Bianchi even stop making mountain bikes? They still make an entry level xc bike but there aren't any Italian mtb companies. Wilier has ONE high end XC race bike that doesn't even come with a dropper post and that's all there is. If I really want to buy an italian bike with a full suspension, then my only options are motorcycles.
I know Italians like riding in the dirt because they make a lot of dirt bikes, adventure bikes, and gravel bikes, but when it comes to a real mountain bike, they would just rather buy something foreign.

Image not available

3072x4080

PXL_20230121_0127....jpg

Anonymous No. 132986

SHout out to Rockshox for making the brake hose clamp on the Zeb Ultimate out of metal. This feels a lot sturdier than what's on my Fox 34 factory

Anonymous No. 132988

>>132960
The biggest pain in the ass is buying the seperate kinds of oil for specific suspension models. Personally I own all kinds of tools for work, so I already have allen keys, sockets, torx for regular disassembly and cleaning.
I was sick all of last month so I took my time cleaning every possible piece without servicing the suspension, which I'll do in the spring

Anonymous No. 133003

>>132986
I mean I’ve never broken a cable mount other than overtightening but yeah sure that’s cool

Image not available

1280x960

37EE0982-F280-40C....jpg

Anonymous No. 133011

What’s the hottest temperature you’d ride in? Assuming dry environment and occasional breezes

Pic unrelated, it’s well below freezing

Anonymous No. 133017

>>133011
thats a nice bike
drops seem kinda silly on a bike like that but it looks cool

Anonymous No. 133018

>>132964
oh the part i was calling tragic was
>needing to load it onto my car to go somewhere at least 20 minutes away to hit some real trails.
is this really what mountainbiking means nowadays?
spending thousands on an overengineered monstrosity just to use a car to take it to trails?
just put flat bars on the gravel bike there you go thats a real mountain bike then

Anonymous No. 133046

>>133011
>hottest ride
Due to elevation, when I get to top the mountain, with a bus, its ~20°C. But then you reach the bottom and its +35°C. And there's a 6-700m hill I usually climb and one time in summer it was +30° when I climbed, took me 2h40to reach the top when I usually take 1h40. I hate hot and humid weather.

Anonymous No. 133050

>>133018
Frankly yes, this is what modern mountain biking is. For me the only trail close to my house is the Appalachian trail, so I have to drive around an hour to get anywhere fun to ride.
>>132959 thanks, it's only really rideable with clips as with flats you just hit your toe on the front wheel when doing front wheel pivots.

It's a MTB to make the easy (read as all legal trails) trails more fun.

Anonymous No. 133051

>>133050
I should note that I'm only talking about trails in my area, I'm definitely not taking this to lap double blacks at the bikepark.

Anonymous No. 133058

>>133050
just ride ur bike on the appalachian trail and laugh at the hikers as they seethe at you for "cheating" lol
>>133051
>bikepark
god the state of mountainbiking

Anonymous No. 133064

>>133018
>just put flat bars on the gravel bike there you go thats a real mountain bike then
If you want to pilgs it for a while then yeah you could do that, but idk how long a hardtail and components would last on modern size tech and drops

Anonymous No. 133066

>>133064
trust me itl work fine

Image not available

600x754

1667995773134829.png

Anonymous No. 133098

>>133058
>>bikepark
>god the state of mountainbiking

Anonymous No. 133099

>>133098
And there’s fucking rocks and dirt everywhere too wtf

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20230121_2031....jpg

Anonymous No. 133101

My first mtb ride of the year since the raining stopped was a mixed bag. The dirt is great and the trails drained so well, but there are a lot of landslides, downed trees, and debris everywhere. It was pretty annoying when I encountered the one in the photo because I was so close to climbing out of the trail, but crossing on either side of it is a total shitshow from my side of it so I just turned around and took the long way out. Not even the park rangers know how bad the damage to the trail system is yet.

Anonymous No. 133103

>>133018
So you have a problem with people using their mountain bikes for mountains instead of using them for paved roads.

Anonymous No. 133111

>>133098
>>133103
go ride your damn bikes on some actual offroad driving your bike to special trails is dumb

Image not available

1280x720

pat smage (1).webm

Anonymous No. 133156

>>132399
>tfw no fatbike

Image not available

1080x1567

Notclimbing.jpg

Anonymous No. 133174

>>133111
>t.seething ESL /n/igger that thinks his refurbished garbage bike with aliexpress chink components is enough for mtb as tire knobs are a bit bigger
No, I will not climb 1500m. I will take the bus/lifts up and shred the way down. Also tires wear incredibly fast in pavement/asphalt, while being very draggy.

Anonymous No. 133181

>>133011
Last year I rode during a heatwave. The temp was somewhere above 95F and possibly in the low 3 digit temps. The ride wasn't bad and I packed double the water I would normally use for this ride and I took regular sips. Where I really fucked up was not using two insulated bottles because drinking from the non-insulated bottle felt like drinking from a hot tub.
I always avoided riding in temps above 90F before this, but the ride felt really refreshing since my body heat overpowered the outdoor heat. Sweating because you're active feels so much better than sweating because it's hot

Image not available

248x243

sip.png

Anonymous No. 133182

>>133181
>95°F
. . . .

Anonymous No. 133185

>>133174
>refurbished garbage bike with aliexpress chink components is enough for mtb as tire knobs are a bit bigger
it unironically is

Image not available

887x626

sb.png

Anonymous No. 133187

>beautiful day today
>trails mudded out from past 2 days of rain

Image not available

1270x1084

waterdogwashout.jpg

Anonymous No. 133192

>>133187
It rained here nearly every day for the past month. Shit is extra fucked here and many parks don't even know when they'll be able to reopen. I don't know how they do it in Bongistan, even the fun mountain roads that I would go motorcycling or road cycling on are closed from landslides.
If you know of any trails with sandy soil, or rocky trails, go check those out instead.

Image not available

1024x929

1668445886864297.jpg

Anonymous No. 133200

>>133185
Get a job and buy a good(real) bike. It'll allow you see the way of God, and you'll love it . All your problems will disappear with that shit bike. As long as you have it, you are gay, /n/igger.

Anonymous No. 133209

>>133192
that sucks. I take it you're in California? Unfortunately where I am the dirt is all clay, so it just becomes a gummy rutted mess any times it rains. No sand or rocks anywhere near me.

Anonymous No. 133215

>>133209
Yeah I'm in California, specifically SF Bay. I live on the east side where it's mostly clay that turns into a sticky mess when wet. The peninsula and north part of the bay have sandy and rocky trails which did hold up great to the water if they didn't wash out or get blocked by downed trees. many of the single track is impossible reach with heavy machinery(as far as I know) so I assume the downed trees and landslides are going to be incorporated into new trails.

Anonymous No. 133230

>>133200
>Get a job
lol no i dont wanna be a wagie
>buy a good(real) bike
i have one its better than your downhill racer meme machine
>It'll allow you see the way of God
lol christcuck schizo
>All your problems will disappear with that shit bike
what problems it does everything i want and need it to and can be maintained with a screwdriver
i work on my friends modern piece of shit bikes they are nightmares and all that fancy bullshit doesnt make them any faster than me on my steel hunk o junk
>As long as you have it, you are gay, /n/igger.
hell yeah i am im a real cyclist not some fatass with an overpriced toy that only works downhill

Anonymous No. 133252

>>133230
>im a real cyclist
NTA but cyclists are gay

Anonymous No. 133253

>>133230
You’re in the extreme sports board, homie. Public busses and alternatives for public busses are on /n/

Image not available

776x960

cyclist2.jpg

Anonymous No. 133255

>>133252
He's not a cyclist either, just some poorfag who has a hand-me-down as his only form of transportation between home and his community college so his dad doesn't throw him out of the house for not working or going to school. I doubt he's done a ride with more than 50 ft of total elevation gained. He probably rides on the sidewalk because he's scared of cars

Anonymous No. 133270

>>133255
>He probably rides on the sidewalk because he's scared of cars
That's where they should ride. Fucking entitled roadies bitching and moaning about cars driving close to them

Anonymous No. 133279

>>133230
>overpriced
Your chink components bike will break apart with the first taste rocks.

Anonymous No. 133286

>>133253
yeah im more extreme than you guys i dont need suspension and hydraulic brakes i have skill instead
i also ride UP the mountain not just down it

Anonymous No. 133287

>>133255
lol im a neet i spend all my time biking or working on my bikes
>>133279
they are the exact same chink components you overpaid for

Anonymous No. 133288

>>133286
oh and i ride TO the the places i want to ride not drive my bike in the back of a car like an idiot
and fuck trails do some real offroading

Image not available

700x719

1669220676965334.jpg

Anonymous No. 133297

>>133287
>they are the exact same chink components you overpaid for
Kek, keep coping https://youtube.com/watch?v=-fy09r2y3bo&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE
Post bike

Anonymous No. 133304

>>133297
lol im not coping i love my steel shitbox
you cunts give mountainbiking a bad name why not just get a dirtbike

Image not available

1500x2000

snowy.jpg

Anonymous No. 133335

>>132986
>luv me metal hose clamp
>luv me plastic e13 cranks
kek

Image not available

1080x1242

He's_absolut....jpg

Anonymous No. 133343

>barges into mtb thread with his faggotry and cope
>gets shat on for being a faggot
>seethes
>>you cunts give mountainbiking a bad name
Kek. You aren't getting more (You)s

Anonymous No. 133346

>>133230
> i work on my friends modern piece of shit bikes they are nightmares and all that fancy bullshit doesnt make them any faster than me on my steel hunk o junk

Lol, all your mates death grip their brakes. Go ride with people who are actually fast and see if you can keep up.

Anonymous No. 133353

>>133346
>Go ride with people who are actually fast and see if you can keep up.
trying but im yet to meet anyone and im not even fast
all you cunts are all money and no skill
only riding down gay little trails to get a lift back to the top isnt mountain biking its just a waste of money larp
you pretend dirbikers and your overpriced toys wouldnt last 10 minutes on an actual adventure

Anonymous No. 133356

>>133230
I know that to any 3rd worlder or a teenager an "entry level" bike at $2700 usd is insane and that you hate fancy expensive bikes, but atleast try riding on one of your friends nice bikes down a rough trail before you shit on how overcomplicated they are.

My entire enduro bike can be taken apart and rebuilt and adjusted with the tiny multi tool that fits in the palm of my hand And the zip ties I hide in my bb. The only thing on bikes that has gotten worse is the reliability of rear derailleurs as they have gotten larger to accommodate larger cassettes.

That and try running some cheap SPD, clipless pedals on your rigid bike. They will keep your from your feet getting bounced off allowing you to ride faster. Same applies to hardtails, it's much harder to ride a hardtail fast without clips.

>>133343
Based

Image not available

392x334

cherdenko.png

Anonymous No. 133357

>>132399
>post real mtb qt 3.14s
Local bike park is packed during the summer so I ride up with qts on the chairlift all the time. Never said a word to a single one

Anonymous No. 133358

>>133343
Jesus christ, poorfag a/n/on got btfo. He's clearly got some shit to work through with a therapist since he blames complete strangers on the internet for his shitty life and outdated bike. Ironically, if he actually did ride his bike on adventures like he claims, he wouldn't be so insecure and angry, he'd be happy and well adjusted like all the other hobbyist and pro riders.
I once encountered a guy on a shitty bike riding with his helmet backwards just like that. I let him know his helmet was on backwards and then he thanked me because his helmet fit comfortably.

>>133353
>you pretend dirbikers

I can tell you've never ridden a dirt bike or a mountain bike on singletrack since you think the two have any similarities beyond knobby tires and the number of wheels they have.

Image not available

238x223

1602364378175.gif

Anonymous No. 133364

>>132458
If you can't true a wheel you have no business lacing one, i'd have assumed you were a tard and overcharged you too

Image not available

960x929

wifebad.jpg

Anonymous No. 133366

Anyone build wheels? Aside from rebuilding air springs and oil reservoirs, wheel building is the one big thing I can't do yet. Seems like I need a trueing stand, a spoke wrench, tensiometer, and one those things to check both sides of the wheel are flat and even

Anonymous No. 133369

>>133366
I just use the zip ties on the bike and then use the pitch when I pluck them to determine tension.

Anonymous No. 133386

>>133366
>Seems like I need a trueing stand
I'm probably going to make one out of wood and a metal rod
>a spoke wrench
They're like $2
>tensiometer
Ok I'll give you that
>and one those things to check both sides of the wheel are flat and even
You can make one out of wood too

Anonymous No. 133413

>>133364
I can true a wheel, with what tool do you think I laced the wheel up with? You just need a spoke wrench. What I struggled with was centering the rim and the tension on 2 sides as I don't have a reference for it. Just paid 25 yuros

Anonymous No. 133419

>>133356
>but atleast try riding on one of your friends nice bikes down a rough trail before you shit on how overcomplicated they are.
have
yes an expensive modern bike feels great but only when playing pretend dirtbike
in all other situations they suck ass
mountain biking is about going on offroad adventures and finding fun things to ride not pretending to be a racer on trails
trails are fun but they get so boring
next time your riding on a trail turn 90 degrees from it and go fuck off into the wilderness and do some real mountainbiking
youl soon see your bike that costed like 5 times the price of my car is no better than my steel junker with an aliexpress drivetrain drivetrain and your trail bombing skills wont be much use
or perhapse try riding UP the trail instead of just down
>>133364
lol thats one of my favorite gifs
*rotates child*

Image not available

1280x862

42249F52-AAF9-481....jpg

Anonymous No. 133423

>>133419
None of us are offended because you’re just wrong, mountain bikes have objectively gotten much much better in the past 20 years unlike most other types of bikes, regardless of whether they’re on purpose-built daily-maintained jump bro trails or random fuckoff wilderness point-to-point nonsense. The only terrain they do worse at than old mountain bikes is on the most well-manicured and smooth dirt roads that are really meant for jeeps, and at this point we can call that gravel biking.
Like it’s fun to ride the inferior bike for the job sometimes, sure, but it is the inferior bike for the job

Image not available

1000x670

1651732856041.jpg

Anonymous No. 133436

>>133413
>What I struggled with was centering the rim and the tension on 2 sides as I don't have a reference for it.

Then you can't fucking true a wheel you retard, you deserve what you get for pretending.

Image not available

444x250

EmotionalSpotless....gif

Anonymous No. 133443

>>133419
https://youtube.com/watch?v=B0Oe20aFKPQ
>wumao rims will not fold themselves or explode
>he will not get a flat
>his chain will stay on
>he would ride fast
>his rim brakes would slow him down or would work with a bit of mud in them
>the handlebar will stay straight
>the bike stays in one piece
>his foot will not slip off plastic pedals
>implying he would stay on the bike and not walk it down in first place
Kek, not even a tranny is as deluded as you are.
I get you are either a midwest/greatplains anon or some city fag that rides in local parks and thinks that the walmart trail system unironcially is the capital of the MTB world. You are wrong nigga, you think you are jewing the BIG bike jews but you are jewing your body and enjoyment. Go after xc guys and especially gravel bikers intead, 2k for those bikes...But I would likely pay a bit less than that than ride something that weighs more than a DH bike, wouldn't brake, and nor handle the descents to some extent(for xc bikes). Pushing the bike around/inside bushes in the park isn't it anon.
>wumao bolts will hold
You underestimate vibrations and chatter

Image not available

768x1020

PXL_20220710_1811....jpg

Anonymous No. 133445

>>133419
>mountain biking is about going on offroad adventures and finding fun things to ride not pretending to be a racer on trails
Objectively wrong. The first people to mountain bike on their modified road bikes and beach cruisers, then called "clunkers", were racing down Old Railroad Grade on Mt. Tam. Soon after they established their community, they had the first unofficial official mtb race on Repack Road a few miles north near a place I go frequently go mountain biking at called Camp Tamarancho, I avoid the trail because it's out of the way, too smooth, and not my idea of fun because it's too easy.
How do I know all this? Not only is the information publicly available online and at the mountain biking museum in Fairfax, many of the founders and people who were there for those events are still active on social media and share their stories and images. Mountain biking was literally started for racing at a friendly level. The whole adventure aspect of it you made up isn't, and was never intended as a part of mountain biking, you just described gravel biking.
I can tell you don't do these all day mountain adventures you're bragging about doing because you seem to think your obsolete bike is a good climber or good off pavement and manicured dirt, it's not. A fixed suspension is only faster if you're going up a smooth and driveable fire road. When you're going up a rough and technical climb like what I regularly encounter(pic related), you need a full suspension and soft knobbly tires so you're able to grip the terrain over the bumps and dig in to loose surfaces without breaking traction. When I'm doing smooth climbs, my gravel bike is much faster, when I'm doing a real climb that's actually off the beaten path and no car can go through, my full squish trail bike is the superior climber. On top of that, the geometry that makes it better for going downhill is also what prevents toe overlap when I'm doing a really technical slow climb up big rocks and roots.

Image not available

549x656

Elon.jpg

Anonymous No. 133446

>>133343
>Carrying the whole kitchen around? Seems like utensils are falling
KEK

Anonymous No. 133448

>>133436
You are a retard. Truing a bent rim is different, below in skill and tools, than truing a wheel from scratch(gotta center the wheel to the axle, equal tension, making sure its straight and not oblique), which I don't have the tools for that besides a spoke wrench.
>saved +55€ just for lacing it up
You can cry all you want but it doesn't change the fact that its well laced and chose the most cost effective option(paying 25yuros)

Anonymous No. 133449

>>133445
Joe Breezer is a fucking faggot and tool, you shouldn’t ride his dick

Anonymous No. 133454

>>133449
I've never even heard that name before until now. I don't dick ride any of the founders or even any pro riders. I'm just showing poorfag cope anon that he doesn't know anything about what he's talking about and he doesn't even do the type of riding he brags about doing.

Anonymous No. 133456

>>133454
I take that back. I just looked him up and I knew about his early bikes, but I never learned the Breeze lore. I don't think I've met him before either. Occasionally you'll encounter someone on the trails who claims they were around during the early days of the sport.

Anonymous No. 133457

>>133353
> trying but im yet to meet anyone and im not even fast
Obviously not trying hard enough. Here is a suggestion, go to an uplift bike park and ride the most difficult trail. You will be lapped by someone who is faster withinn a single run. Go make friends with them.

> all you cunts are all money and no skill
> only riding down gay little trails to get a lift back to the top isnt mountain biking its just a waste of money larp
> you pretend dirbikers and your overpriced toys wouldnt last 10 minutes on an actual adventure

You are a lot of talk for someone who sounds like he loves fire trails more than single track. Post the most difficult trail you have rode.

Anonymous No. 133458

>>133419
>next time your riding on a trail turn 90 degrees from it and go fuck off into the wilderness and do some real mountainbiking
So on top of being a poor fag that sucks at mountain biking you also like to destroy the bush? I guess if you want to be a fag that is cool...I guesss.

Image not available

640x460

1653657307479.png

Anonymous No. 133483

>>133448
>says the guy that can't even true a wheel
Go back to your box store bike dude it's over

Image not available

286x204

a7c.gif

Anonymous No. 133501

>>133483
Not gonna make/buy a truing stand, a dishing gauge, and a tensiometer for 1 time use, you've got no case. Cope and seethe

Image not available

678x593

1648557584878.jpg

Anonymous No. 133503

>>133501
>and he can't afford real tools either

PROVED MY POINT FOR ME

Anonymous No. 133505

spoonfeed me on fat tire bikes
it's snowing a lot and I want to go ride around in the snow

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20221205_2320....jpg

Anonymous No. 133506

>>133505
Do it.

Anonymous No. 133510

what do you dudes think about these fat fucks

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/bik/d/millis-specialized-fatboy-se/7581002352.html
https://nh.craigslist.org/bik/d/jaffrey-2020-felt-fat-bike/7578020636.html

I'd probably be happy with the cheaper one but the Felt is pretty sweet with the front shock and separate studded tires.

Anonymous No. 133575

>>133510
Are you going to be doing things that require a suspension? Fat bikes already have a ton of grip and comfort from the fat tires. A suspension that's not being used is just dead weight and another part to service.
Try to find out what kind of brakes the Felt has. The Specialized has a functional, but very entry level set of hydraulic brakes.

Anonymous No. 133578

>>133506
Might be captain obvious here but if you are serious about this, wear winter boots not mtb shoes. I almost gave myself trench foot on a 45 minute winter ride a year ago.

Anonymous No. 133579

>>133578
Was meant for >>133505

Anonymous No. 133586

>>133578
I would actually recommend getting winter mtb shoes. I bit the bullet and decided to try out some clipless shoes from Fizik for this winter and they're so great. The goretex outer lining keeps water and wind out, and the fleece inner lining keeps my toes toasty. The BOA laces are very convenient too
I only recommend that if he decides to get rid of the platform pedals to go clipless. Otherwise I second your recommendation.

Anonymous No. 133604

>>133423
better but more expensive and harder to work on
that bike looks pretty good tho it take that with 27.5 wheels flat bars and mechanical disks but why would i spend a grand on that when i could spend £150 on a top of the line 90s bike that can do everything that can yknow

Anonymous No. 133605

>>133423
just notice how low that bb is holy shit
nvm fuck that bike

Anonymous No. 133606

>>133443
yeah cool but im not a fuckin downhill racer trailfag am i
im a mountainbiker

Anonymous No. 133607

>>133445
yeah i know about clunkers but you see they were riding both up and down mountains and exploring the cali wilderness not exclusively riding down trails

Anonymous No. 133609

>>133575
>Are you going to be doing things that require a suspension?
Probably not I suck ass at riding and I just do basic bitch mtb trails at my local city parks.
Honestly having hydraulic brakes at all sounds like a dream to me coming from my cheap ass bike.

The Specialized sounds like a good deal for me.

>>133578
>>133586
Ah noted. I'm not interested in going clipless atm, I'll see how my snow boots do.

Anonymous No. 133620

>>133604
>harder to work on
Bikes aren't really hard to work on in general. If you've ever worked on a car, a bike is piss easy no matter what the model

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20230126_0047....jpg

Anonymous No. 133629

Cows stomped the fuck out my closest trail system(3 miles away). I kind of wish I brought my mountain bike just for the comfort, but the trails here are so easy that underbiking as much as possible is the only way to have fun.
Speaking of underbiking, anyone ever seen a unicyclist out on the trails?

Anonymous No. 133630

>>133609
Well, swapping out your brakes for hydraulic is really easy, especially if you have external cable routing. If it's internal, it's a little more work since you'll have to do a brake bleed but I assure you, those are really easy to do unless you have some bitch ass Magura brakes that make you bleed them like a car or motorcycle which is still easy, but not as easy as pressing two plungers until you stop seeing bubbles

Anonymous No. 133645

>>133605
Yeah it is pretty damn low (as it is a road-based “gravel” bike) but it’s not like it’s gonna go any lower since there’s zero suspension. I don’t think I’ve even pedal striked on it yet, although i rarely ever pedal strike on my 160mm hardtail (and often pedal strike my 180mm 27.5 YT Capra, which is known for pedal strikes, but I have made suspension/pedal changes to raise it up slightly)

Image not available

640x479

DD9773C3-1BE1-476....jpg

Anonymous No. 133646

>>133645
Oh yeah and it’s not $1000 it’s a $2700 fucking STEEL bike with ZERO shocks, exactly as much as my consumermaxx enduro boing boing abhorration of engineering cost (pic related), it’s a godawful value for the money. But it’s the bicycle I wanted, and I ain’t flipping cheeseburgers 8 hours a day so I can fucking compromise on the things I want

Image not available

2419x1814

20230126_145116.jpg

Anonymous No. 133666

I got another ULTIMATE SEXO tire. I didn't remember the knobs being this big. Shows how worn the dh22 I've been using is. But that one held up really good and it still has alot of grip and sheds mud very good considering it has 60% the original knob height, I'll rotate it to the back. What I don't understand is how GUMx is supposed to have a longer durability than MAGIx has, you would think that magx is softer but its not. I went to a bike shop to check the Wild AM2 racing in GUMx and its softer than MAGIx. MAGIx is soft enough to be maleable with finger but not to the level of GUMx. The MAGIx is sticky. Despite almost 2 years of heavy use, when I lift the front tire, I hear it unstick from the floor. DH22 x2 will be a bitch on the climb but I'll finally be able to ride without mud accumulating on the rear
>>133646
The long coil + bike color looks hot

Anonymous No. 133667

>>133629
>anyone ever seen a unicyclist out on the trails?
I've seen 2 of them in bike park and in trails only a girl in one, with her father coaching, in a quite a chunky-steep section. Its quite impressive the balancing required especially on rocks

Anonymous No. 133669

>>133629
One time I saw a dude on a unicycle at my university and he busted his nuts trying to do a trick by the dining hall.
Was pretty funny

Image not available

4032x3024

output.jpg

Anonymous No. 133723

I hope Anon's had a good ride today. It was pretty dry all things considered today, despite what my bike might look like, mainly just thick mud.
>>133413
I recently built both the wheels on this bike from scratch with no prior experience, only needed my bike, a spoke key, some zip ties and a ruler. I found Ali Clarksons videos on youtube plently helpful and never needed extra tools. Sure they might not be 100% perfectly tensioned compared to if they were made at a factory or using more specialist tools, however I saved ~£200 building them myself so I am not complaining.

Image not available

450x450

Screenshot 2023-0....png

Anonymous No. 133738

>>132399
is there a gxp spider that has 64bcd holes and 104bcd holes so i can have my granny gear?
i can only find spiders with 104 OR 64 not both

Anonymous No. 133739

>>133620
>Bikes aren't really hard to work on in general
not mine
>>133645
its about handling not pedal strikes lol

Anonymous No. 133743

>>133666
>What I don't understand is how GUMx is supposed to have a longer durability than MAGIx has
Was it not the opposite? I thought Gum was softer than Magi
I also found a DH22 for the front, but now I need a 27.5 34 for the rear

Image not available

3000x2000

S00be713c6bf945b9....jpg

Anonymous No. 133744

>>133738
if such a thing doesnt exist im gonna have to buy one of these 64bcd spiders for trials bikes and drill holes in it
id rather not have to do that though

Anonymous No. 133750

>>133738
This actually doesn't seem that hard to make a cad file for and then get it lazercut by sendcutsend, or atleast I think it is I don't own any bikes that use gxp direct mount.

>>133646
Probably the best looking bike yt ever made

>>133723
Anon you are the only person I have seen with argotals on their bike. How do they stack up?

Anonymous No. 133754

>>133723
How are you liking the Cane Creek DB Coil? I'd prefer not drop $1200 on a Push 11.6 or EXT Storia if the RS Super Deluxe coil that comes stock on my bike doesn't work out

Anonymous No. 133757

>>133750
that sounds expensive

Anonymous No. 133758

>>133757
>This actually doesn't seem that hard to make a cad file for and then get it lazercut by sendcutsend,
i mean

Anonymous No. 133759

>>133757
If you wanted to hire someone to design it yes, but if you just want someone to cut it out for you then it wouldn't be too bad. I would actually try to design it myself If actually knew what measurements a gxp direct mount chainring and the gaps between rings for whatever drivetrain you were running was.

Anonymous No. 133777

>>133723
>argotals
Post review>>133750
Especially in that mud

Anonymous No. 133780

>>133743
Yes its softer but thats the compound they chose for the bikepark dh34 version which lasts more. I also couldn't find the DH34 for rear although the WILDA AM2 has the same profile but in Gumx and the casing isn't DH

Anonymous No. 133790

>>133750
>>133777
Truthfully, I probably have around 6 rides on the argotal, so I don't think I could give a proper in-depth review. From the few rides which I have used it, comparing to the magic mary which has been my standard front tyre for many years, it is infinitely better in the conditions which I rode in yesterday. Clearing mud is much better and it seems to hook up pretty damn well when it is mud-covered-rocks or a relatively thin layer of mud over hardpacked ground. However, it would probably be not as good as a full on wet/mud tyre such as a shorty. It feels kind of just in the middle not a full on wet weather tyre and not a dry tyre either, so good for the winter/spring time in wetter climates. I would definitely recommend the kryptotal rear, I'm waiting to find a front varitant for summer as they seem to be an enigma unless you want to buy the trail casing and endurance rubber variant.
>>133754
It's great. At least on my current bike, it is by far the most supple shock with the best small bump sensitivity that I've ever felt and anyone I've ever met has been impressed when trying it out even compared to their bikes which easily cost 3x the price. Plowing through rocks and fast sections of track it is great, the tracking is amazing and seems to give the rear tyre endless grip. My only gripe would probably be that it isn't the best for jumps which is sort of to be expected, but I might try a progressive spring at some point to see if that makes a difference. I've previously tried a yeti sb150 with a dhx2 coil which is the best comparison to another shock I could give as I've not tried another coil, and I would say it is at least on par. I was actually a little disappointed in the performance of the yeti considering the price tag.

Anonymous No. 133796

>>133790
I'm glad to hear you're liking the shock. Now I'm starting to think I should have bought one during the big sale they had a few months ago

Anonymous No. 133835

>>133739
>not mine
Not mine as in its not hard to work on, or not mine as in your bike isn't easy?
>>133780
I'm trying to do more research on which is actually softer and I don't understand the website, they're not specific enough with the descriptions. The only difference I can see is that the standard 34s have a heavier casing than the bikepark 34s.
>I also couldn't find the DH34 for rear
Nobody has them at all.
>lol3months for theoretical restock

Anonymous No. 133838

>>133835
I waited 3 years for the Wild Enduros to show up on US retailers without an ETA, they were just there when I randomly decided to check. I think you should just get some other tires to tide you over in the meantime.

Anonymous No. 133841

>>133838
If I have to I'll put the magic mary/big betty combo on

Anonymous No. 133856

Continentals new lineup is 100% worth a shot, the casing strength/supple balance is phenomenal

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20230128_1903....jpg

Anonymous No. 133941

My friend and I got challenged to a downhill race(not from the spot pictured) by a runner and I am not ashamed to say it was a close victory. We exchanged Strava contacts after and this guy either has a KOM, or has a top 10 time on everything he runs. He got a good lead on us on the climbs, and it was so surreal seeing that on the descents, we were barely closing in on him. I had no idea people could run so fast. This isn't like watching Olympians run on TV, I didn't understand how fast a person could be until today. I could have had a better lead if I didn't have to dodge hikers, but this was still a spectacle to behold.

Anonymous No. 133971

>$495 base model specialized rockhopper
good for a total beginner?

Image not available

1600x1066

p6pb19508996.jpg

Anonymous No. 134021

>>133971
>specialized rockhopper
29ner? Just get a cheap dropper seat post from aliexpress and it's ready. Then you'll see what you like to do and upgrade/go into other things

I don't know about the price though, it's 488 on their site and I think the trek seems more beautiful but if it's your size, near you and all, I think it's a good bike.

Anonymous No. 134024

>>133856
I've heard this too and they're in stock in a lot of places. I've read they're a massive improvement over the previous generation of Der Baron and Der Kaiser tires which felt much too stiff

Anonymous No. 134103

>>134024
How many months of driving across western america riding mountain bikes and living in a camping trailer do you think 15 grand gets you?

Anonymous No. 134182

>>134103
I don't know, that depends on your bills and how you're living out there. I could probably do two months if I went full NEET but still had my bills, appetite, and luck with things breaking.

Anonymous No. 134196

>>134103
Still a few years out, but I'm actually hoping to do something like this once I graduate college and have enough money on hand. I think the biggest factors are:
>are you paying for bike park passes or riding normal trail systems for free
>are you moving constantly, or staying in one general area for a while
>are you going to be in states with high gas prices (basically the whole west, but especially CA, NV or WA)
>are you going out to eat every day or slurping on ramen bowls 24/7
If I kept it as cheap as possible while still trying to hit a good amount of places, I think I could probably keep it going for about 6 months or maybe even longer. But that's only if there are no big unexpected costs like my shitbox breaking down or a medical emergency.

Anonymous No. 134257

Do you guys ever try any tricks when you're out on the trails? I just try to get through obstacles, jump over things, and sometimes I try to take inefficient, but more fun lines through. I once did a stoppie at a sharp corner to turn my bike around, but that was completely on accident and I know I will go OTB if I try that again. A crankflip seems like the easiest trick to try out but if I mess it up and miss my cranks, I'm landing gooch first on my top tube or saddle if I'm lucky

Anonymous No. 134296

>>134257
Semi-noob here
I'm planning to get into freeride/slope, don't really care about times. I'd rather do tech trails just to say I can do them, then go back to the jumps. I like jaxson riddle's MX inspired style

Anonymous No. 134325

>>134257
manuals if you call that a trick, x-ups. one footers. I dont do tricks unless its smooth. Otherwise I just try to go fast

Image not available

960x720

1673413488375.webm

Anonymous No. 134361

mtbbros...if i get into this stuff..would i be able to finally feel free like a bird? working in it is killing my soul. i feel like an enslaved blackman in the 17th century

Image not available

271x186

bloatlord2.jpg

Anonymous No. 134378

>>134361
Free? yes. Like a bird? possibly.
It's the same feeling Dom gets from drag racing in Fast and Furious. You just forget about all the bullshit stressing you out and you're able to feel like who you're supposed to be without all the worries and responsibilities.
You have to be determined to improve on every ride and climb up the mountain because mtb is really hard at first but it really does keep getting exponentially more fun the stronger and more skilled you get. An e-bike is not a shortcut to mtb, I can't tell you how many eMTBs I've seen go up for sale in my local marketplace from weak-willed people who thought they were going to be mountain bikers during the pandemic, and still couldn't ride for shit with the motor doing the heavy lifting on the climbs. Pure downhill isn't any easier either despite gravity pulling you forward, downhill riding over rough terrain is either just as hard, or harder than climbing, my heart rate gets even on the downhills than it does when I'm in a hard climb. You're probably not going to have a good time if you only ride once a week because you're not going to be improving enough. You have to live it.

Image not available

1008x756

PXL_20230131_0129....jpg

Anonymous No. 134381

>>132399
it was a bit muddy last night bros

Anonymous No. 134391

>>134257
>tricks
Not really. I like bombing the trail as fast as I can to get a PR on it. The tricks come when going down, say jumping over rocks and whipping. Style comes from riding fast and efficiently

Image not available

1024x1024

1663795366044680.jpg

Anonymous No. 134395

>>134378
>You have to live it.
If you don't think of riding when you are not riding, you are not living it
https://youtube.com/watch?v=kNdwifllVmc&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

Image not available

720x743

bikeshorts03.jpg

Anonymous No. 134404

>>134395
It's all I think about and it drives all my life decisions. My entire motivation for moving up the career ladder and acing my upcoming interviews is that with all the money I'll be making, I'll be able to afford more space(a house) for more bikes and motorcycles.
> yeah she's hot and I get along well with her, but is she going to interfere with my riding?

Anonymous No. 134418

>>134404
>>134395
i wish i had that type of autistic focus and mindset...i will be free from my bodily passions and distractions and devils/evils (women). how do i climb the spectrum even higher bros?

Image not available

519x664

grizzly02.jpg

Anonymous No. 134425

>>134418
Climb mountains and keep pushing yourself. Once you see you're stronger than you thought you were, it all begins to make sense.
It also helps that riding is really, really fun and helps keep you in shape so there are no downsides to it except for injuries.

Image not available

1080x1061

1654154587534.jpg

Anonymous No. 134427

>>134425
thank you brother, bless your world

Anonymous No. 134440

>>134404
I'm planning to buy 150 acres outside of the okanagan. After my cabin I might build a bike park there just because I feel like it

Image not available

1047x722

1646703083062.jpg

Anonymous No. 134462

>actually ride my bike on some shitty road and made my legs jelly
>complained that my legs were jellied
>realized i like biking
>feeling honeymoon about mountain biking and trying out other tracks and trails and pushing myself further
i want to RIDE

Image not available

300x300

1626913841122.png

Anonymous No. 134492

>>134462
Go and ride then, anon

Anonymous No. 134504

Hell yeah boys, my wheels are being delivered today or tomorrow. Unfortunately, the trails I know best are still BTFO from the month long storm and it's raining again this weekend so I'm either going to have to wait another week before riding, or I'm about to find out saturday morning how Michelin Wild Enduros handle sloppy mud and how fast this bike can stop when I encounter a tree that wasn't there last time I rode

Image not available

1080x1080

23b36fa551395e113....jpg

Anonymous No. 134507

>>134462
You can be far more tired than you thought possible. Just go ride.

Anonymous No. 134574

>>134440
if I had my own bike park, it would be 90% rock gardens, a skills area, and then some dual slaloms to race my friends

Anonymous No. 134576

>>134574
that sounds based as fuck
have some hardcore trialsy bits too

Anonymous No. 134591

>>134574
Do people ever actually build rock gardens, or do they just use whatever is there?

Anonymous No. 134618

>>134591
people build them, some are natural, Stampede at Ride Rock Creek had all of its rock brought in. Others like an unsanctioned trail that is the only local trail worth bringing an enduro/downhill bike to is just on a mountain where the ground is 90% rocks 10% dirt. it depends on location.

Image not available

809x865

1662118177385012.jpg

Anonymous No. 134619

>>134574
Don't forget steep trails. The ones that do the maximum elevation change in short tine with the highest gradient

Anonymous No. 134620

>>134619
That’s right we need a way for jeeps to reach the top

Anonymous No. 134629

I want to go rockshox but I dont want to be a poor guy with black forks

how come rockshox doesnt make the $1000 forks look nicer.

Anonymous No. 134634

>>134629
Idk, get some pink, gold or other flamboyant color for the spokes, nipples, gripd, pedals to compensate for the missing kashima stanchions. I'll be getting some colored stickers for the fork

Anonymous No. 134637

>>134629
idk mayne I'm going ohlins and black looks sexy

Anonymous No. 134644

>>134629
just go paint your fork lowers, when is the industry going to realize that we want different colored stanchions, Fox already adds the gold dye for kashima, when are we going to get gold/purple/red/green colored stanchions. that and a dual crown enduro fork. they can at this point make a lighter dual crown than a 38 or a zeb with the same stiffness

Anonymous No. 134648

>>134629
Just make the ULTIMATE stand out more with aftermarket decals.

Image not available

3686x2764

20230203_192120.jpg

Anonymous No. 134662

I was right, DH22 x2 is fucking bitch to climb with. 1.5kg each tire + having not ridden since early november was enough to kill my thighs. I even put close to max pressure on them to help with the climb. I stopped 2 times in the first 100m of the climb as I had a headache, legs wers killing but pushed for a total 630m+ as I'm not fag. And I got rewarded, trail builders overhauled the upper section big time. Its faster through big old roots and and didn't realize how steep it was till I stopped and looked back and up to the see the trail. The G-outs after steep curves or straight down parts felt like SEXOOO. And more than I expected, DH22 x2 is a fucking SEXOOO beast on the descent, the terrain on that hill is clay and I had ALOT of control. Slided when I wanted and unholy grip in mud/clay, honestly felt like ridding in dust but the clay on my frame says otherwise. Maxxis niggas must hang. Also tested the SamHill impacts, pretty good. I finally solved the bending issue freeriders had and grip is better on impacts.
I just didn't expected this ride to be a blast and fun at all. It was supposed to be a small workout to regain strength slowly and slow riding to get used to riding again, especially in mud. My butt and thighs are kill. Tomorrow I'll do a hike on another mountain to check if its ridable due to fallen branches and snow. This ride warranted a blogpost, thank you.

Anonymous No. 134706

>>134662
enjoyed the blog post, they look like moto tires. What Norco bike is that?

Anonymous No. 134723

>>134662
nice! Where is the after trail pic?

Image not available

1033x1039

1.png

Anonymous No. 134725

STOP FUCKING RAINING

Anonymous No. 134734

>>134725
Just when it was drying out too.

Image not available

4032x3024

20230203_180517.jpg

Anonymous No. 134748

>>134706
A 2020 range, base model I've been slowly upgrading parts.
>>134723
>Where is the after trail pic
Didn't take one, just this one on the lower part

Anonymous No. 134762

>>134748
How are you liking the Range? I heavily considered buying a frame last year since a bike shop nearby was selling the previous gen(your gen) Range for a stupid good price but I couldn't find enough info about how it handles on the trails or how efficient it is at climbing.

Image not available

4032x1816

20220529_150053.jpg

Anonymous No. 134778

>>134762
Not that Anon, buy I have had both an alloy and carbon Range from the previous gen. It is a great bike for descending super faster. the faster and harder you go, the better it rides. But it sucks at climbing up anything other fire roads. I also wouldn't bother with the alloy version because it is too heavy.

I
That all being said, get yourself a Sight. It so much better and is just about on par with the previous gen Range at descending. Picrel is my Sight C1

Anonymous No. 134789

>>134762
Its pretty good on the way down, as the other guy you can push it nonstop, bomb downhill and it'll do the climbing on fireroads. Its like 16-17kg base, I'll measure it one day. The coil shock is pretty good, I like it more than when I had an airshock on my old bike. Also the reach on it is short, 425mm on 27.5 medium, which allows me to use a 800mm handlebar despite me being a manlet.
>>134778
I read you can increase the rear travel to 157mm with a cascade link and change the airspring to 170-180mm. Roughly close to the 160/180mm I have. And you can climb better.

Image not available

790x375

HTB1MqywXYr1gK0jS....jpg

Anonymous No. 134794

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255799817463696.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802897190000.html?gatewayAdapt=bra2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

which one lads?

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20230204_2155....jpg

🗑️ Anonymous No. 134796

Finally finished building it. It weighs in at 36 lbs with the pedals and all the tools and gears I'll be riding with at all times. Now to just wait for it to stop raining so I can go ride my benchmarking trails.
The Michelin tires were harder to mount and Maxxis tires, but it was still a straight forward and frustration free mounting unlike trying to mount anything on ENVE road wheels. They also formed a really good seal and didn't leak any air before I added the sealant..
I really hope I don't regret putting carbon cranks and a handlebar on it. I'm not worried about breaking it with pedal strikes since these bikes have high BBs, but I've heard that Shimano DuraAce carbon cranks have a problem with delaminating.

>>134794
Just by going by the features, the 1st one has a cover on the bite valve and it supports netting to stick a helmet or anything that fits on it. Those are always great features to have. One of my bladders developed a leak in the bite valve and when I went to go eat after the ride, it was leaking all over the place so it looked like I pissed myself. The outer pocket is also good for stashing an extra layer if the weather changes

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20230204_2155....jpg

Anonymous No. 134797

Finally finished building it. It weighs in at 36 lbs with the pedals and all the tools and gear I'll be riding with at all times. Now to just wait for it to stop raining so I can go ride my benchmarking trails.
The Michelin tires were harder to mount than Maxxis or Vittoria tires, but it was still a straight forward and frustration free mounting unlike trying to mount anything on ENVE road wheels. They also formed a really good seal and didn't leak any air before I added the sealant..
I really hope I don't regret putting carbon cranks and a handlebar on it. I'm not worried about breaking it with pedal strikes since these bikes have high BBs, but I've heard that Shimano DuraAce carbon cranks have a problem with delaminating.

>>134794
Just by going by the features, the 1st one has a cover on the bite valve and it supports netting to stick a helmet or anything that fits on it. Those are always great features to have. One of my bladders developed a leak in the bite valve and when I went to go eat after the ride, it was leaking all over the place so it looked like I pissed myself. The outer pocket is also good for stashing an extra layer if the weather changes

Anonymous No. 134798

>>134794
Neither, get a hip pack. Its more comfortable to ride with its mass lower and close to your hips than up your back. On the second one, it looks like the gook is scamming

Image not available

480x344

1663875076030109.jpg

Anonymous No. 134801

>>134797
>galfer rotors
Are you using their pads aswell? Have you used them before or just testing? I've read that combo is pretty good.
>wild enduros
I looked at the rear ones and the center knobs were higher than I expected. Tell how they ride in mud/clay after you ride. I'll either get huge legs or die climbing with the 22s.
>pedals
??? They look wide, the only one that were wide enough Icould find were the L stamps
When/where are you taking it for its baptism?

Image not available

2040x1536

PXL_20211222_2323....jpg

Anonymous No. 134808

>>134801
I'm not using their pads, I'm using the stock sem-metallic pads that come with Hayes Dominion A4 brakes. I avoid mud/clay because it's really shitty here, I learned it the hard way on my gravel bike

These will be my benchmark trails:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AEBCMiQYXg
I like this video because it shows just how chattery it is from all the braking bumps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsvp-kSk-1Y
this guy is possibly one of the best local riders who records their runs.

These are the blacks I know best so riding them will give me the best idea of what I'm supposed to be feeling. It was supposed to be good enough to ride this week but it just started raining this weekend so maybe I'll go sunday morning when the asshole hikers are at church or hungover

Anonymous No. 134809

>>134808
I also want to add that the constant shilling of Michelin tires in this thread are what got me to spend $180 on these tires after I had already spent $180 on Maxxis tires for it. I do like that the knobs are spaced far apart because I'm sick of picking up rocks

Image not available

3686x2764

20230205_191940.jpg

Anonymous No. 134883

Rode everything steep today
snow, then ice and frozen mud(fell and now I have a big scrape in my buttcheek), then only mud and finally dry dirt on the lower part
DH22x2 also worked in steeper muddier trails compared to friday.
>>134809
You are welcome, you should enjoy them. I'd say just go and ride. Only way to test them in mud. But what about the bronze pedals on the evil bike?which pedals are those.

Anonymous No. 134885

>>134809
Eh yellow and blue is just the theme of my build, that's why I want michelins

Anonymous No. 134886

>>134883
They're Tenet Occult pedals. I managed to find the last ones in stock on [evo] at a slight discount, the stem is also from Tenet and is the same color. I considered going with raceface's Kash Money color to complement the black, but I'm glad I didn't because I saw it IRL and it's gold, not bronze.
I like building bikes but I don't need to build one every year. I already have all my niches filled now.

Anonymous No. 134912

>>132399
I want to get in to moutain biking. Show
me the way

Anonymous No. 134913

>>134912
Marin San Quentin, Trailforks app, tray-style hitch rack, Giro fixture helmet and a water bottle

Image not available

2000x1506

PXL_20220806_1929....jpg

Anonymous No. 134924

>>134913
>tray-style hitch rack
Having a good hitch rack makes such a big difference. When it takes less than a minute to get your bike on and off, it really makes a big difference on whether you get out there and ride. If it's really sturdy, you have more confidence taking your bike to further destinations and on road trips.
You can get into racks for much cheaper with something like a SeaSucker, and I've seen a lot of people vouch for them, but a hitch rack is just so quick and easy to use, especially a 1up or Kuat.

Pic related and not my car. You can fit a great rack on a little miata to get to the trails, you don't need a tacoma or 4runner. I've also seen racks on S2000s, BRZs, Mustangs, Panameras, and some motorcycles. In fact, I might get an ADV bike to complement my Ducati Monster just so I don't have to choose which bike to take with me next time I go vacationing in the mountains.

Anonymous No. 134929

as a hobby I think I prefer MTB and gravel cycling over cars. It's orders of magnitude cheaper, I get a bigger adrenaline rush on a bike, I can fix or replace anything relatively easily, I don't have to pay for insurance, and it's healthier. Thanks for reading my blog.

Anonymous No. 134941

>>134924
Yeah, if you don’t have a hitch mount, then installing one and getting a hitch bike rack is still a better option than strap racks, roof racks or frame peg racks
Got a 2” hitch on my Honda Civic for $300 and 10 minutes of my friends impact wrench

Anonymous No. 134942

>>134929
And you don't die as cool. Slip and fall? Slow bleedout over a nice scenery. In car's you die due to shit drivers with a metal object impaled through your skull.

Image not available

798x720

1652515103918.jpg

Anonymous No. 134943

can i get a gf if i ride bikes away from civilization 24/7 and dont talk to people?

Anonymous No. 134952

>>134943
go whine somewhere else

Anonymous No. 134953

>>134941
Back when I had a 2008 civic si, I installed a hitch rack by myself for even less and did it without any power tools. It's so easy but it took me a lot longer than 10 minutes

Image not available

2419x3225

20230206_174243.jpg

Anonymous No. 134956

>doing lower service
>expecting oil to come out
>really small amount of oil actually comes out
>that little oil has the blackest most gorilla niggr color I've ever seen
Foam rings, left is for the air spring side and right for the damper side

Image not available

1460x848

IMG_20210213_1443....jpg

Anonymous No. 134961

>>134956
That's pretty normal except I still had plenty of oil left in mine when I did the 50 hour service. I didn't neglect this either, I did the service on time and I used WP fork lube to clean the stanchions after every few rides. The trails here get really beat up and dusty in the summer when I do most of my riding.

Anonymous No. 134964

>>134913
fuck this shit
>>134912
buy a fuckin cheap steel shitbox and fuck off into the woods
watch some youtube videos on riding technique and bike set up and maintanance
have fun
dont do what these other retards say and spend thousands on some bullshit you dont need
youl become a better rider and have more fun o a shitbox too

Anonymous No. 134968

>>134964
He won’t have more fun and some of us get promotions after working at McDonald’s long enough

Anonymous No. 134969

>134964
>>134912
If you are starting then yes but better go with an shit hardtail like that marin. Not new, used.
>1099$ for a shit ht
Kek, you can find older bikes at 1/3rd that perform better.
Once you genuinly enjoy it, know how to use arms/legs/ankles as suspension, correct position and find that bike holding you back from riding better, ignore what the pajeet/flip gorilla monkey says and get a better bike, used or new.
>>134961
I found fork lube to get the fork dirtier. A wet rag after ride should be enough

Anonymous No. 134971

>>134968
he will have way more fun
i only use my modern mtb on the road lol steel 26er with cantis is way more fun offroad and when it breaks i can just turn some bolts with an adjustable spanner and shes good lol
that expensive shit is for downhill park posers larping as racers

Anonymous No. 134972

>>134912
Whatever you do, DO NOT get a bike that doesn't fit you. Don't be one of those retards who bought a bike that's too big for him because he refuses to accept he's a small or a medium and don't be one of those guys who rides an extra small because it was really good deal. Read up what the sizing is on the manufacturer's website and don't ask people in facebook groups if you can size up because you feel emasculated not riding the bigger one. If you're in between sizes, get the smaller one. You can make a smaller bike larger, but you can't make a larger bike smaller. Don't be the boomer who rides with the saddle slammed all the way down to the top tube and then bitches about back and knee pain so he then spends $15k on a Specialized Turbo Kenevo or Orbea Wild(still the wrong size) to get up a 4% grade fire road with a 600ft elevation gain.
This is not strawmanning, I encounter these people all the time

Image not available

629x711

1667921360608400.jpg

Anonymous No. 134985

>134971
You really got some inferiority complex and crippling insecurity and you are trying to mask it with arrogance. Its so pathetic that I hope you are just a /n/igger messing around for (You)s

Image not available

603x587

1668032247334294.png

Anonymous No. 134986

>assemble the fork and bike back
>hear clicking noise
>can't find from where it comes
>loosen and tighten stuff
>noise still there
I hope its just the finned pads

Anonymous No. 134987

>>134986
Where is the clicking noise coming from? I disassembled my drivetrain twice because I thought the clicking came from my bottom bracket. Turns out it was just the tip of my shoelace hitting my water bottle.
Another clicking I heard came from my cassette(XD Driver) being a little loose but I could only tell it was loose by sticking the lockring tool on and tightening it since it passed the wiggle test.

Anonymous No. 134989

>>134987
>I disassembled my drivetrain twice because I thought the clicking came from my bottom bracket. Turns out it was just the tip of my shoelace hitting my water bottle.
Kek
Idk. I'll remove the pads to check that and spend alot of time tightening the headset. But tomorrow

Anonymous No. 134994

>>134985
He’s right though

Anonymous No. 134995

>>134986
Does it click only when riding?
Does it click when you turn the cranks?
When you press down on the forks?
When you first sit on it?

My seatpost creaks all the time and I'm too lazy to do anything about it

Anonymous No. 135005

>>134995
I know its either from the headset, fork, rearwheel or pads. As thats what I touched today. I got one when lifting the front wheel up while riding and letting it drop and another one when braking but I think those are pads. Ill just try to tighten tomorrow

Anonymous No. 135012

>>135005
I made sure to grease/lube almost every metal-on-metal point of contact when I took my bike apart last month. Without hearing it for myself, if I had to guess, the front lift click would be one of the stem connections, and the braking click would be the rotor bolts. Something that can bend or slip
FYI I don't really know shit about bike maintenance, I'm just decent at diagnosing things

Anonymous No. 135014

>>135012
Do you think it's possible you torqued the stem down too hard? You're not supposed to torque the fuck out of that, it's the side bolts that clamp around the steerer tube that are supposed to have the most force

Anonymous No. 135031

>>135014
That diagnosis wasn't for myself

Image not available

1596x833

file.png

Anonymous No. 135074

>>132399
hello anons.
im new to /MTB/. always had "mountain bikes" from toy r us, walmart, etc when i was a kid. recently got a Northrock XC27.
main question: i live in a snowy place
>any advice for snowy conditions (in neighborhoods / paved surface)
>how do the fluids involved generally hold up in cold weather?
and my secondary question
>any advice overall?

Image not available

960x922

soap.jpg

Anonymous No. 135075

>>135074
I've never ridden in the snow but from what I've heard from other people who do, you want the fattest tires you can get and you run them with like 5psi or the lowest you. You're also not supposed to ride in snow if you're sinking through it as it damages the terrain underneath.

Image not available

654x840

fatbike.png

Anonymous No. 135077

>>135075
>fattest tires
>like 5psi or the lowest
yeah i thought so, whenever i research snowriding it always brings me back to the chunky bikes
>You're also not supposed to ride in snow if you're sinking through it as it damages the terrain underneath.
ill stay away from trails and stuff for now, unless you mean the roads and sidewalks?

Anonymous No. 135078

>>135077
It's for trails. So don't ride through powder if you're thinking all the way through. You're supposed to stick to the compacted stuff similar to what you would ski on.

Anonymous No. 135080

>>135078
>You're supposed to stick to the compacted stuff similar to what you would ski on
its mostly compacted around here this time of year, but every once in a while theres a bit of fluff that comes down (not much)

Anonymous No. 135083

>>135078
> thinking
meant sinking. I need to stop posting while I'm working on a report for Mr. Noseberg.
>>135080
Seems like you should be good to ride. There are sometimes signs around that will let you know if you're in a protected area where you should be wearing snow shoes to cross to not damage the landscape

Anonymous No. 135114

Posted in the old thread oops:
Need some tire recommendations bros. Used to ride Assegai in the front and they were great, but switched to T9 Butcher to test out the new rubber, and loved those. Now on Addix MM, but not 100% convinced. I want very very high traction in the front with no vagueness in transitioning. Whatcha got?

Anonymous No. 135131

>>135114
Assegai, I cannot think of a moment that it gave on me.

The new Continental line up is reportedly good, but I am yet to ride on them.

Anonymous No. 135149

>>135114
>I want very very high traction in the front with no vagueness in transitioning. Whatcha got
See>>133666. Better than maxxis.

Anonymous No. 135162

Never before have I enjoyed watching bike design videos before.

Anonymous No. 135176

>>135077
SEX SEX SEX
god i wish i could afford a fatbike

Image not available

481x413

gigamemer.png

Anonymous No. 135178

>>135077
I know this was expensive, but that shit looks like a straight up kmart bike

Anonymous No. 135183

>>135178
yeah the orange looks awful

Image not available

3196x2400

20230207_220122-C....jpg

Anonymous No. 135185

Saw this when putting my axle in my bike today, how safe do you reckon it is? There is a crack in the stress relief point along with a hairline crack 1/4 the way around too. I've only just come to Scotland for the next 4 days to ride the EWS Tweed Valley tracks and surrounding area. I'll ride with it anyway and just hope that it doesn't break and send me to A&E.

Anonymous No. 135199

>>135185
maybe ok for casual riding but i wouldnt be riding anything rough or going fast with it
>tfw hit a jump and implode front wheel under you on landing

Anonymous No. 135203

>>135185
Axles are pretty cheap and common, try to find a replacement ASAP

Anonymous No. 135204

>>135185
Axle sized are standardized go call around Scotland for a similar size. On some bikes the axel can be longer than necessary as long as all of the threads are engaged.

Anonymous No. 135228

>>135199
>>135203
>>135204
I rode with it today as the LBS which was next to the tracks didn't right size in stock and they wouldn't have one in stock in time for me. Ended up riding at about 80% speed listening and feeling for any weird anomalies.
Will try a few more LBS tomorrow close to where I'm staying however, looking on their websites I'm not too hopeful.

Image not available

430x764

biigpoop.jpg

Anonymous No. 135246

> get geared up to go mountain biking
> feel sudden urge to take a sloppy shit
> have to pull everything down over heavy duty knee pads
why can't the urge ever hit before I get dressed up

Image not available

3072x4080

PXL_20230208_2344....jpg

Anonymous No. 135247

>>135246
No matter how many times I pee, I always have to go at the start of the ride. No matter how much I shake, a little always dribbles out

Anonymous No. 135278

>>135246
I feel this on a spiritual level. Except I always bring toilet paper with me just in case. Nothing is worse than not needing to shit starting a ride and then needing to shit once you get on the bike. I always make sure to either go in the morning or night before. That and the very firm or very wet shits are the easiest to wipe, while the more consistent ones are much more work to clean.

>>135228
Stay safe man, keep us updated on the axle status.

Anonymous No. 135284

>>135246
I don’t feel this. Clearly you need to be exercising harder. I also don’t eat before a ride (makes me tired)

Anonymous No. 135316

>>135284
Not the guy, but what does exercising harder have to do with needing to go shit. It's mainly up to your diet is it not.

Also on longer rides 2+ hours you need to eat to not drop off in performance you can only store about 2000 calories in your body at a given time. So once you get close to burning that 2000 if you are not eating you bonk

Anonymous No. 135317

>>135284
The urge to shit hits me as soon as I get dressed, or right before I'm about to leave. I've never felt like taking a shit on a bike, even during an all day ride.
Motorcycles on the other hand are a different story. The engine vibrations and speed work the fluids right out of me

Image not available

4032x2988

20230209_150836_e....jpg

Anonymous No. 135322

Went to 3 LBS this morning with no luck, two didn't have the correct one or something very similar in stock and the 3rd shop which was most likely to stock it was closed. Will just end up buying one from bikediscount along with a kryptotal fr and a new helmet as they only ship to the UK now with orders exceeding £175.
Ended up riding again on the axle. Had one moment when riding up the fire road when I realised that the rear axle had come loose however I'm putting it down to only just re-greasing it and some will have ended up on the dropouts surfaces not giving a good friction fit. I did double check it to see if the cracks had increased but couldn't see any noticeable differences.

Image not available

352x395

2C3F2D31-8582-4AD....jpg

Anonymous No. 135324

>don’t grease the dropouts!

Anonymous No. 135328

>>135324
> he doesn't grease his saddle

Anonymous No. 135338

>>135328
>he doesnt grease the brakes

Anonymous No. 135375

>>135131
Might pick it up again if it goes on sale soon. I just wanted to try other brands and see what is out there. Strange to me that no other tire can match it's grip. What gets the closest?

Anonymous No. 135376

>>135149
I thought about it, but I def do not need a a wire bead.

Image not available

3264x2448

IMG_20230206_1126....jpg

Anonymous No. 135393

went on a ride today at the local jumpline spot (not pic related) and there was this guy and his son were brushing the dirt off of his tires. I figured that he had to store the bike in an apartment or something, but he was doing it for more traction so that his tires wouldn't slip.

>on the dirt
>confused.png

It was honestly baffling to me that someone would do that. Because you are going to ride the tires on the dirt anyways. The only time I wash my bikes tires are when I have to put it indoors, inside my car, or If for some reason a muddy downhill track is located right next to a pumptrack, to avoid tracking mud onto a pavement pumptrack.

Anyways the guy and his son were both pretty cool, I was towed the guys son into some jumps and gave him some advice on picking classes in highschool for going to college for computer engineering. Then I think that I learned how to whip, and table. idk I haven't seen any 3rd person video of me yet. but It felt like it

It was a good ride

Image not available

500x400

1652503138520.gif

Anonymous No. 135395

wassa good way to see if mtb is good for you if you cant borrow ur friends bike. good entry price?? buy used??

Anonymous No. 135401

>>135395
rent a bike, for me I just always liked riding my shitty walmart bike and then I broke it learning how to jump. so I bought a top of the line enduro bike from 2011 for $700 went to ride around and have the time of my life on it, and then after I broke that, I bought a 2011 enduro bike frame that all the parts fit on, after that I just built a hardtail with new parts because having a warranty is awesome. I then bought a nice full suspension frame and put all of my parts from my modern hardtail on it. the only thing that I kept from my hardtail are my bar, stem, pedals, front hub, bar ends, and fork. and out of those parts, the bar and stem are from my original $700 bike.

Image not available

500x540

1670361036730154.png

Anonymous No. 135456

>>135401
>top of the line enduro bike
>700 dollars

Anonymous No. 135457

How much is too much? Would you spend at least 5k on a good full suspension?

Anonymous No. 135458

>>135395
all that matters is if its the right size

Anonymous No. 135459

>>135456
>retard finds out the second hand market exists
>>135457
if you spend more than £500 you are retarded

Image not available

404x416

1666458772961255.gif

Anonymous No. 135461

>>135459
if you're paying 700 bucks for an ENDURO you're getting a worn out piece of shit thats probably cracked

Image not available

658x613

1654135545317.jpg

Anonymous No. 135462

no more fighting brothers...

Image not available

220x221

1675191131940032.gif

Anonymous No. 135464

>>135459
>if you spend more than £500 you are retarded
If you don't spend more you are getting chink shit that will rattle out loose through chatter and break

Anonymous No. 135465

>>135457
>Would you spend at least 5k on a good full suspension?
I think 4.5-5k is the point of diminishing returns.

Anonymous No. 135467

>>135461
oh well fix it then its a fucking bicycle
>>135464
100% of bikes and bike parts are chinkshit you idiot
its all come from china since the fucking 90s

Anonymous No. 135477

>>135456
It was a clapped out Enduro bike that hadn't seen an upgrade since 2012, but it was a 160/150 travel bike which had the original i9 Enduro wheels, a Hammerschmidt, a fox 36 with a 20mm axle with kashima, a fox dhx5.0 air shock, a Thompson elite seatpost, and formula the one brakes, which were expensive back then which was about $300 per end in 2011 money. The bike was a transition covert.
It was top of the line for 2012
I got it right before the bike boom.
The guy was a rich dentist type and his wife wanted the bike gone because he hadn't rode it in years. The bike wasn't cracked when I got it, but I after 8 months of riding and learning how to do medium/large jumps and casing a lot of them I finally cracked the rear triangle at the brake mount which seemed to be a common failure point.

>>135457
I think around 5k is where you start to get diminishing returns.

Anonymous No. 135478

>>135456
He said it was 10 years old and used. Excluding redditors who seek out vintage mtbs to dump thousands of dollars into them just to ride them around NYC, nobody is looking for them to take them out onto trails

>>135457
3 of my bikes were each nearly double that. $3k-$5k is the sweet spot. Above that, you're looking for something specific in the bike that something under $5k can't provide. Typically something like the climbing efficiency of a bike with a fixed suspension but in a full suspension bike that's still a great descender. Or the descending capabilities of a long travel freeride bike in the package of a playful and nimble short travel trail bike. Or the speed and stability of a long and slack 29er in the straights over chunk with the nimbleness and maneuverability of a shorter wheelbase and smaller wheels through turns and tech. You're typically paying for craftsmanship, quality control, R&D(typically for a proprietary suspension design), customer service, additional features, and a lifetime warranty with a discounted crash replacement.
I used to have a Canyon so I'm still in the facebook owners groups and although their bikes are excellent value and you CAN get world title winning bikes from them for under $5k, QC has gone down a lot, you don't get a lifetime warranty, and their customer service is hit or miss. QC has gotten so bad that when they released the newest version of their Aeroad which is their top of the line aero race bike that is also a lightweight climber, they immediately pulled it and told people to stop riding and send it back because of a critical seatpost defect that manifests immediately and some how got through testing. Not to mention chainstays and downtubes snapping on their alloy Spectral, and the frame breaking around the BB on the carbon Spectral. I still recommend them since that's still the minority of bikes sold and $3k for an alloy Spectral and $5k for CF on a bike with the titles to back it up is great.

Image not available

3264x2448

IMG_20200707_192538.jpg

Anonymous No. 135485

>>135456
>>135461
since you guys seem to care so much
here is a photo of it

it was about as good at decending as lighter duty trail bikes are now, mainly due to the shorter wheelbase and steep HTA, it actually pedaled okayish with the climb switch. in the photo I had the brakes levers far too down, I hadn't yet learned that they need to be more out forward. there was nowhere to route an internally routed dropper, and I just never bought one for it. The standover was terrible on it as the seat was too high up even when dropped all the way.

Anonymous No. 135487

A recruiter just contacted me for a data science role at Walmart in Bentonville. Seems tempting with all the trails around the city and lower cost of living but I want big climbs, big descents, and a full time position, not a fixed term contract.

>>135485
>there was nowhere to route an internally routed dropper, and I just never bought one for it.
You can get them for external routing. PNW Components sells them and they're great, I know because I had one on my Marin Pine Mountain. Easiest setup I've ever had and it was my first.

Image not available

853x552

1666994574424535.jpg

Anonymous No. 135505

>cassettes still moves after getting tightened
I have a feeling the freehub body is broken and I don't want to check. What a pain the ass it is for shit to start breaking down, its expensive and time consuming to fix. I'll start thinking for all scenarios and their solutions...

Anonymous No. 135569

Just bought a 29x2.0 Ikon for my gravel bike I think I’ve just given up on gravel/road. It was nice to try it out but I guess all I really wanted was mountain biking, just with a shittier bike

Anonymous No. 135610

>>135485
>transition
lol

Anonymous No. 135661

>>132399
>bike shifts like shit
>replaced shifter
>replaced cable
>replaced derailleur
>replaced chainring
>replaced cassette
>added spacers to chainring to fix chainline
>replaced chain
>replaced deraillier hanger
>added extra long hanger extender
>spent hours fucking with cable tension
>still shifts like shit
whyyyyyy
i have a hanger alignment tool on the way as my last ditch attempt
if this doesnt fix it im done with modern bikes honestly

Anonymous No. 135700

>>135661
Post chain alignment

Image not available

1008x756

PXL_20230203_1723....jpg

Anonymous No. 135703

>>135700
i dont have a camera to take a pic with
its a 3x9 to 1x9 conversion the stupid teenager that owned this bike before did
ive added 7mm of spacers to the chainring and it improved the shifting massively and stopped the chain falling off whenever i backpedal
but no matter what i do it still skips gears
it acts as if the hanger is bent but i fucking replaced the hanger so fucknows
i think the chain lines up with 4th gear now
before it was like 7th lol
i dont think the chainline is the issue anymore
desu i shouldve just converted back to 3x instead of trying to make this 1x garbage work

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20230212_1637....jpg

Anonymous No. 135711

I finally took the new bike out on its maiden voyage. It doesn't climb as well as my Following MB but that's to be expected since that's a short travel 29er that weighs a whole lot less and this is a long, slack, and heavy duty enduro. Despite the length and weight of the bike, it is extremely playful and agile. I was having so much fun today that I crashed twice and on the second one, I crashed really hard on a rocky trail so I won't be riding any of my bikes or bouldering for at least a week.
I'm very satisfied with the performance of this bike but I'm not sold on the Onyx hubs. I'm sure the silence will be useful when I'm diagnosing a sound but I really like the loud buzzsaw sounds of my other hubs. I should have taken advantage of the big sale NOBL had on black friday and changed my order to I9 Hydras but I don't hate the hubs either.
The tires(Michelin Wild Enduro) performed very well on the mud today. It wasn't that muddy but it was still too wet to be hero dirt, but they never slipped on normal riding. Both times I fell were because I was a dumbass and grabbed my brakes when I shouldn't have. It'll be a few months before I get to test out the performance on dust
I was also very satisfied with the performance of the RS Super Deluxe Coil. A lot of guys complain about it and then go drop $1200 on a Push 11.6, $1000 on an EXT Storia, or $800 on an Ohlins TTX, but I have no complaints about it. Once I adjusted the preload, it was very firm on the climbs, it tracked the roots and rocks well on the descents, and it was still poppy enough to get me some air on the jumps

Anonymous No. 135714

>>135487
seems cush but fuck uprooting your life to arkansas for a contract position. Would they be open to remote work before going full time? MTBing looks alright in Arkansas and there's lots of outdoors stuff to do too. Unfortunately nothing compares to what you get out west, though.

Anonymous No. 135716

>>135714
It's like you said, I don't want to uproot my life just for a job that doesn't pay an obscene amount of money(there is no amount of money that can get me to move to a flatland like Texas). I know I can make new friends over there and maybe even find a southern PAWG to let me bust fat nuts into her, but all my friends and family are here and I like living in California.

Anonymous No. 135721

>>135711
nice bike man! If you're not into pro stuff you need to take more care of you, to ride another day and work and whatnot.

Those tires are.. BEAUTIFUL.

Anonymous No. 135724

>>135703
Maybe the cassette spacing and the derailleur model aren't really compatible

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20230212_1816....jpg

Anonymous No. 135725

>>135721
Thanks. I'm not a pro-rider. Today's crashes were stupid mistakes and I should know better. My first crash was painless and harmless, the 2nd one, not so much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsvp-kSk-1Y
I crashed on the section between :50 and :55. I just fucked up and lost confidence and speed. When my front wheel came down, it slid into a rut(not in the video) the soil being wet caused it to slide and I panicked and grabbed the front brake. I've been doing so well with trusting my bikes to handle the terrain too. It's not like I can blame it on the bike being new to me because this feels just like my Following MB(same brakes and rotors too), just with more grip.

Anonymous No. 135726

>>135724
the deraillier it had before was a plastic atlus or something
ive put an old xt rapid rise on, a 9s
its better but still skips
i thought perhapse my 50t cassette was the issue but its on the small cogs wehere it happens
big cogs work great
and from what i understand 7 8 and 9s all use the same spacing and stuff
everything i do makes it slightely better but never perfect
im pretty sure its still the hanger
perhapse the part the hanger mounts to is bent or something
anyway if the alignment tool cant fix it im giving up on 1x and possibly this whole bike and just getting another 21 speed rigid steel shitbox because they just werk
this is my first modern bike its been a nightmare lol
i also need to figure out why my brakes wont stop rubbing no matter how much i straighten the disks and align the calipers next lol
sorry for kinda ranting

Anonymous No. 135731

>>135726
it could be that your derailleur is supposed to work with a different sized hanger but ehhhh, I would only expect a problem like that if you're using an extension like the one wolf tooth makes.
As for your disc brakes, try to push the pistons back in. If they're out and they're using mineral oil, lube the pistons up with some oil before pushing them back in. It shouldn't be a problem with brand new hydraulic disc brakes. If you're using mechanical, it could be you have too much tension on them. There is also the possibility that your brake rotors are too thick for the calipers(usually not an issue). If your rotors aren't new, they might be warped. You also said you keep on aligning them and you can't fix it so I think it's also possible the bolts aren't tight enough or they're coming out of alignment as you're tightening the bolts which is something that I noticed when I was working on my bikes. It's an annoying fix but just hold the caliper when torquing it down. Typically, the easiest fix is to just loosen the calipers so they slide freely, squeeze the brake lever, then torque the bolts down, it doesn't always work
There are a lot of reasons why they could be rubbing.

Anonymous No. 135735

>>135726
I didn't know anything about bike maintenance last year and I'm halfway between noob and mechanic at this point. Wish I could look at it in person
>i thought perhapse my 50t cassette was the issue but its on the small cogs wehere it happens
Could be. The bigger cassette might be shortening the freemoving link distance between the cassette and derailleur just enough that the chain doesn't have enough flexibility to shift smoothly. You could try a 10 or 11spd chain and see if it fixes the issue
>i also need to figure out why my brakes wont stop rubbing no matter how much i straighten the disks and align the calipers next lol
Disc thickness could be incompatible with brake model if your discs are perfectly flat

Anonymous No. 135740

> 50t
I don't know why I didn't catch that before.
I'm willing to bet the old XT derailleur you put on it doesn't support 11-50T. Box Components makes affordable 9 speed drivetrains. I'm sure that would work on your bike without costing too much

Anonymous No. 135742

>>135731
im using an extra long hanger extender
again its the small cogs where i have the skipping isse tho which makes me think thats not the issue
i think the hanger or the hanger mount point is slightely bent and the derailler being so far away from it is exaggerating the misalignment
as for the brakes they are hydraulics and were fine before i got the bike caked in mud
im guessing the pistons are caked or something
this is the first bike ive had with hydros tho im kinda scared to touch them in case i fuck them up
i think i just need to clean them or something
>>135735
>could try a 10 or 11spd chain and see if it fixes the issue
lol no those are espensive
>>135740
>I'm willing to bet the old XT derailleur you put on it doesn't support 11-50T
that would be correct i dont think anything bigger than 34t even existed when this thing was made
>Box Components makes affordable 9 speed drivetrains
people in this threads idea of affordable seems to be quite off given the op lol
my bike costed £30 lol
ive probably spent like £150 replacing the whole drivetrain
desu im pretty sure it is just a crooked hanger and itl (hopefully) be fixed when my alignment tool arrives
im kinda just ranting cos im frustrated
i like how my modern bike rides (dont even know the brand lol previous owner spraycanned it) but its been causing me so many troubles
as soon as ive got this thing working properly im done putting money into it im buying another bike to put money into
this things waaaay too big for me anyway lol

Anonymous No. 135752

>>135742
>could try a 10 or 11spd chain and see if it fixes the issue
The one I bought is $45 in canuckbucks
>people in this threads idea of affordable seems to be quite off given the op lol
>my bike costed £30 lol
>ive probably spent like £150 replacing the whole drivetrain
How poor are you

Image not available

222x236

1648223919478.png

Anonymous No. 135762

>>135711
>that frame
belissimo

Image not available

1071x570

Screenshot_202302....jpg

Anonymous No. 135778

I did some high tech modifications, I put a rubber band around the fins(red bands) to stop the forward/backward movement which causes the rattle. I'll do testing tomorrow, I don't know if the rubber will melt. Shimano gooks could've removed 1mm from the fin sides and they would've stopped the rattle. If it doesn't work, I might need to go even higher tech and use a dremel, but I don't have a dremel...

Anonymous No. 135779

>>135778
A Dremel costs like $30 a Walmart less than the brake pads

Anonymous No. 135781

>>135742
This is probably a stupid question, but is your cassette a 9 speed as well

And if it is, I think trying to run a derailleur made for 11-34 with an 11-50 is the problem.

>>135711
Looks nice the color scheme came together

Anonymous No. 135782

>>135762
>>135781
thanks. The only thing that didn't work out is the saddlebag. My rear tire hits it every time there is a big compression so I took it off and moved it into my backpack

Anonymous No. 135783

>>135779
I find it at 50€, I'll get one

Image not available

3024x2268

PXL_20230213_1808....jpg

Anonymous No. 135802

it's finally stopped raining

Image not available

694x390

alecbaldwin2.jpg

Anonymous No. 135803

>>135802
Tell me what's in the bag RIGHT NOW

> single bottle cage
Trek could have easily squeezed in two on the downtube with better spacing

Image not available

3024x2268

PXL_20230213_1806....jpg

Anonymous No. 135804

>>135803
m...my cell phone and keys. I live about 2 miles from the trails so I can just ride out the door and I'm warmed up by the time I get there. I agree with the cage placement, can only fit a small bottle in it. When I go out somewhere I usually have a hydration vest and I ditch the pack.

Anonymous No. 135805

>>135803
I have a small soft water bottle in my top tube bag, it’s better than nothing. Could fit a jersey in there otherwise

Anonymous No. 135813

Mfw it's February and the trails here in the UK are dry already :)

Image not available

3456x4608

Wouldnt_You_Like_....jpg

Anonymous No. 135835

Anyone got any recommendations on timing apps? I currently use my watch to time myself on trails when I'm tuning suspension for a certain track, but its obviously its not as accurate as I'd like. I'd use strava but that's a whole monthly fee, and is just another social media app. The plan is to record a trail, then when I re-ride it, it would automatically compare my time to previous attempts. Figured I payed for the nice shit on my bike, may as well learn how to use it as best as possible.
>>134440
Mat?

Anonymous No. 135852

>>135835
Get yourself a bike computer (wahoo or garmin) and upload your rides to strava. Most trails have timed segments or you can create your own.

Anonymous No. 135857

>>135835
The free version of Strava does that, you just don't know how you compare unless you are in the top 10 fastest on a segment.

Anonymous No. 135931

Tested new suspension settings. It felt like SEXO, on rough rocky rooty terrian with tires pumped like rocks, even though I couldn't ride hard as I can't bend my right knee without intense pain. But I have 2 things in mind, I want to test the C1 air spring as it rides higher compared to the b1 and a 50lbs stronger coil spring, if I take drops I'm sure I'll have harsh bottomouts. I'll just not ride in a week to see if my knee heals bc I can't walk properly now.

Anonymous No. 135935

>>135931
post some pics of your setup monica. what did you change?

Image not available

1920x1080

1674264093078842.webm

Anonymous No. 135939

>>135935
Im the norco range
>fork
Removed token
dropped pressure 5-10psi
1 rebound click from open
No LSC and HSC
>coil
Reduced preload by 3-4 turns
Left rebound alone, I don't remember how many clicks I have.
Nothing complex really. I wanted to setup suspension again as I wasn't using full travel up front, realized I was using 1 spacer so took it out and reduced 5-10psi to get 30% sag. Front uses more travel, feels slightly smoother and dives a bit more. Removed some preload on the coil to match it, ~33% sag compared to 25-27% I had but that was to cover for bottoming out. I'll see how it rides with harsher riding if I heal in a week. I might need a 50lbs increase on the coil as I've heard it bottoming out when doing drops with high preload.
In summer I'll try to do an entire day of shuttling for suspension testing

Anonymous No. 135941

My wrist is healing nicely. I'm almost shocked I have a full range of motion in my right wrist again and I can hold heavy objects. I couldn't even wipe my ass or brush my teeth on sunday night. I'm even thinking of getting back on the mtb this weekend but I can't guarantee I won't crash again since this bike begs to be ridden hard.

Image not available

560x546

1662971800599.png

Anonymous No. 135975

>>135939
post pictures of bike NOW

Image not available

2764x2073

20230205_132544.jpg

Anonymous No. 135988

>>135975

Anonymous No. 135997

>>135939
right on man. I ride on a lot of rooty shit and I liked it better when I loosened up the suspension and dropped the pressure on my shocks a little bit.

Image not available

420x307

1674098825572837.gif

Anonymous No. 136005

>>135835
>Mat?
nah mayne

Image not available

890x892

4v5iw3.png

Anonymous No. 136052

>>135941
what happened? post pictures of your wrist NOW

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20230213_2137....jpg

Anonymous No. 136055

>>136052
I crashed really hard >>135725 >>135711
I'm not icing it anymore or wearing a brace. No bruises on my wrist or major swelling even after the crash so there are no interesting pictures of it, it just hurt really, really bad. The bruises on my hip are turning yellow now but those wouldn't keep me from riding.

Anonymous No. 136088

>>136055
be sure to give yourself time to heal anon.
also how are those tires? I've heard zero people irl talk about them or even know what they are when I mention them.

Anonymous No. 136090

>>136088
The tires have a lot of grip in slick conditions. They're heavy too. I'll have more to say about them once I get some more rides on them. One of the guys I rode with owns a bike shop and he said that the tires were so hard to find when they first released because they were immediately bought by racers. Where my DHF and DHR would have slipped, these didn't, but they also weigh a lot more and roll a lot slower.

Anonymous No. 136091

>>136090
they've always looked great, but I could never find them in stock to try, so I passed. I've seen some people say that they are drifty like the DHF, is that true?
I''m not a weight weenie, but I prefer lower drag, if possible. The tread pattern looks really fun, hopefully I can find them sometime.

Anonymous No. 136096

>>136091
They weren't drifty to me even at ~35psi but it's like I said, I only had one ride on them and it was on a new bike in wet conditions I'm not very used to riding in. So far, I'm really satisfied with them. I've slipped DHF, DHR, and Aggressors in similar conditions. Next time I ride, it'll be pure hero dirt if it dries out at this rate. I think I'm good to ride again by monday but I'm waiting on some wrist supports to arrive so I can ride without aggravating my injuries.

They're still in stock on worldwidecyclery if you're also an ameriburger. I'm tempted to buy another pair just in case they sell out and I have to wait 3 years again but I already have an assegai and dissector under my bed that I bought assuming the Michelins would never come back in stock.

Anonymous No. 136099

>>136055
take it easy anon, aggravating an injury can easily leave you with permanent damage

Anonymous No. 136141

>>134662

are you riding in the alps?

Image not available

720x720

1646707469178.jpg

Anonymous No. 136143

>>136055
take care of yourself and get better so you can ride again NOW

Anonymous No. 136144

Would love to try some of those wild enduros at some point, I've had dh22s before and they were incredible but impossible to climb with them at 3kg for the pair

Image not available

1080x1461

Pic.jpg

Anonymous No. 136152

>>136141
Ofc, france

Image not available

3978x1663

PXL_20210813_1400....jpg

Anonymous No. 136159

>>136152

You're so lucky! I think some of the best trails are in the french alps. I'd love to explore them more.

Anonymous No. 136161

>>136144
It was definitely a lot harder to climb with them even though I downsized to a 30T chainring. My other bike also has a 10-50T garbaruk cassette in the back, but I'm using a 32T chainring.

>>136099
>>136143
I NEED to ride. I don't crash on my gravel bike but that bike might be too aggressive to be comfortable on my wrists. I'll do a short test ride this weekend and then maybe I'll do a road ride

Anonymous No. 136164

>>136163
>>136163
>>136163
New thread

Anonymous No. 136166

>>136159
I think the same, I haven't really explored too much besides my surrounding mountains. You went to italian side of mont blanc? Italian women are hot. I went to chamonix this summer without the bike, the northern mountain looks quite steep and looking at a mtb website there are several track that go down but were closed july and august due to tourist. On the southern one(mont blanc) there are quite alot of trails, also steep. Kilian bron rode there https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cel44DlKiah/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=. If you look down you lose.

Image not available

4032x2268

PXL_20220811_1411....jpg

Anonymous No. 136572

>>136166

Yeah, this trail on the pic was really cool but I had to push/ride up a relatively steep trail to reach it (but I had an ebike). There seems to be a lift tho from the other side. I was in france mostly in pds so far (bikepark) but I'm interested in singletrails more now. (bikepark stuff gets kinda boring after a few years and since corona they tend to be too crowded for my taste)

>Italian women are hot.

don't tell me. I actually visited my italian crush in torino this august when I was going for montegenevre/briancon.

Anonymous No. 136751

>>135752
>45 in canuckbucks on a chain
yeh thats why i stick with 9s
>How poor are you
very
>>135781
yes ts a 9s cassette deraillerur and shifter
>1-34 with an 11-50 is the problem.
doesnt seem to be, works fine for other people
i still havnt gotten chance to go to where my bike is stored rn and do the hanger alighnment
im pretty sure thats the issue, ive got the tool to straighten it now
this bike shifted like shit before i did anything to it btw, its actually way better now but still skips gears annoyingly
i have a feeling the aliexpress hanger replacement isnt straight either