Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu General
Women's MMA edition

Smoothcomp
https://smoothcomp.com

Belt Checker
https://www.beltchecker.com

Previous thread
>>147993

Thread question: Do you have a 'rival'? How have you helped each other improve?

Image not available

316x313

1663705770660062.png

Anonymous No. 151182

Do you guys know any mouth guards that look like this (black) ?
I feel like my bottom jaw is gonna get fucked up.

Anonymous No. 151184

>>151182
I've never seen anything like that, what exactly are you concerned about that a regular mouth guard won't take care of?
That design looks like it would make it harder to breathe

Anonymous No. 151187

>>151184
for my bottom jaw to be dislocated due to force. Is it even a thing or im overworried?

Anonymous No. 151188

>>151182
yes, i think shockdoctor sells them

Anonymous No. 151190

>>151182
Just FYI, most people absolutely hate breathing through these. The ones with good support as a rule have less slots or holes to draw breathe through.

Anonymous No. 151194

>>151187
Anything can happen, but I don't think this is something to worry about in grappling. Definitely wear a mouthguard though

Anonymous No. 151195

>>151159
>Thread question: Do you have a 'rival'? How have you helped each other improve?
I've had a few and they make a huge difference. I think it's important to have someone really close to your skill level that will give you specific things to work on. Closest thing to competing you will get.

Anonymous No. 151214

>>151187
The uninformed think keeping their jaw down to defend an RNC is a thing
If they have the double butterfly wrap around your neck tap because it can break your jaw if it's not around your neck
That said no mouth guard is going to help you with that
>>151182
Ive been training 1.5 years, i do judo and I even do light sparring in Muay Thai and I think if you're not training with pros and tryhards, or if you choose the right gym, injury is 100% avoidable
My BJJ prof is a pan am worlds winner in his 60s who visits/hosts 12 classes a week and all he has is a little bit of cauliflower ear
And none of our judo people wear mouth guards
It's avoidable and it's all on you to not lead so hard with your head, or no how to engage
And against newbies just be more defensive, as newbies should be your only source of injury in hobbiest training

Anonymous No. 151215

>>151214
>Ive been training 1.5 years
Kek

Anonymous No. 151217

>>151215
I mean I don't think that's too bad for getting my ass slammed every night I go to judo, and finding time to get punched In the face 3-6 times a week
Meanwhile there are people who just do BJJ that have granny knees, knee injuries, dislocated shoulders, broken fingers, and big fucking cauliflowers
And the big difference between me and them is they play to win and are like 5 years younger than me

Anonymous No. 151221

I refuse to roll with women. Why? Because women cant drop their disdain and disgust for low quality men like me, even for some training. I am always freshly showered and wear clean clothes for training. Hygiene is not a problem. When rolling with them they are always visibly uncomfortable, unengaged and uninterested. I try to keep the roll going to not make a big deal out of it but i can't wait for the time to run out. I don't roll hard and i don't hurt them in any way.

I get it, i am not very attractive, i am a little fat and i am balding. Shit actually ruins my day and my confidence. The contrast is huge seeing how they behave rolling with better men.

Anonymous No. 151228

>>151187
What force, like shoulder pressure from bottom side control? A mouth guard isn’t really going to help with that.

>>151214
I’ve been training for over 15 years and my only real injury was a broken wrist because someone caught me in a wrist lock in the finals of a comp with 3 seconds left and I just didn’t tap. I think it’s more dependant on the style though, because I’m basic and only play closed guard or wrestle to standing on bottom, and play basic pass to side control and ride on top.

inb4 the side control autist gets summoned

Anonymous No. 151254

>>151217
You won't be in combat sports in 5 years. Quote me on this.

Anonymous No. 151256

lol, I think I tore my pec tonight trying to snatch single a 280lbs guy, I'd say 6'5" easily, just a genetic freak that should be playing football

I really gave it some horsepower and he didn't budge at all

Anonymous No. 151258

>>151159
>Do you have a 'rival'?
The guy who got me into bjj was a friend from my D&D group. He's a parkour and gymnastics instructor and owns his own parkour gym. He started in 2018 and is a purple belt now, but people have been saying he might get his brown belt soon.
>How have you helped each other improve?
He's helped me improve immensely and I'd consider him the to be the person who laid down the foundation of my jiu jitsu. I wish I could say that I helped him as much as he helped me, but I don't think I ever could. The most I could do to help him grow was pod train with him during covid lockdown.
Thank you for reading my blog.

Image not available

221x274

1672092500975947.png

Anonymous No. 151259

>>149644
Update to this update: I got my purple belt today for winning that tournament.

Image not available

996x1005

1684302259775379.jpg

Anonymous No. 151286

>beginner's class is learning about side control
>look up buggy choke to counter it

Anonymous No. 151288

>>151286
As an instructor, plz kill urself. You're reinforcing bad habits.

Anonymous No. 151289

>>151258
Second para is literally me. Jesus. How many of us autists are out there?

Anonymous No. 151302

>>151159
>'rival'?
I mean, I have some pretty badass training partners. There's the set of guys who were there before I started, and they will always be a couple years ahead of me. There's a guy who started around the same time I did, but he's some kind of savant and is way, way better than I am (fastest blue belt promotion in our school's history). There's the 19 year old kid who I outweigh by sixty pounds, but he's a full-time professional competitor and armbars me every single round.

Does 'rival' imply animosity? 'Cause I love these motherfuckers. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not very good at jiujitsu, most of the guys with similar training time are better than I am, but I am definitely better than I was and I'm still progressing. All these guys make me better, even the no-stripe white belts that I can smash and practice stuff on.

Anonymous No. 151303

>>151259
You sir are a bad motherfucker. That is awesome! What a way to get purple!

Anonymous No. 151311

>>151262
In an enclosed, crowded space like a jail cell, wouldn't wall wrestling be most effective? Crush him into the corner and pin him there, then pull out your shank and go like a Singer sewing machine :^)

You'll be driving the car in no time, shotcaller-chan!

Anonymous No. 151312

>>151254
I won't quote you because I won't remember your ass when I'm still having fun doing it in 5 years

Anonymous No. 151314

>>151221
Just go for the choke
I bet they can see your disdain for them as well
Why be awkward about it

Anonymous No. 151318

Craig Jones just posted something on instagram, implying that a big name in BJJ is about to get exposed as a pedo.
Predictions?

Anonymous No. 151322

>>151302
Tell us more about the savant kid. I love hearing about autistic bjj geniuses

Anonymous No. 151323

rolling is the main reason everyone sucks at jiujitsu
rolling isn't valid training, it's just a fun game you do, it's the goal of the training not the training itself
you think a baseball player is getting better because they went up to bat during the game? it's the thousands of balls they hit outside of the game that did it

you need to be doing live positional training ad nauseum, start with a guard up, guard gets passed? reset
start in a guard, get swept? reset
start with your back taken, get choked? reset
any time someone advances the position you reset right back to where you were and keep doing that until you hate jiujitsu then do it some more. That's the only way to get good

rolling is the least important aspect of training and it take the lions share of peoples training time. That's why everyone sucks and it takes you 15 years to get a black belt and you still suck once you have one.

Anonymous No. 151324

>>151323
Yeah this is pretty obvious to anyone remotely familiar with learning theory. Repetition and deliberate practice. It's a shame most instructors are shit at it. In fact one of my main motivations to achieving higher belts is so that I can hold classes and teach people properly.

Anonymous No. 151325

>>151323
>>151324
Any kind of combat sport or martial suffers from most of its participants being cast outs in various ways, and almost universally stubborn because of the mindset it takes to stay in training. So they get stuck in things that were considered revolutionary in other sports training 50, 60 years ago. And until they're left in the dust, won't change what they do. I think the tide is starting to flow towards understanding why drill scenarios shouldn't have been dropped entirely in favor of making it "real", but it's gonna take awhile to filter down to Dojo Joe.

Anonymous No. 151327

>>151325
Nah, most high level competitors will advocate for positional drilling, it's that most people don't actually want to do it because it's way less fun.

Everybody wants to spend an hour rolling, ain't nobody want to spend an hour just repeatedly breaking maximally resisting closed guards

Anonymous No. 151328

>>151322
He's not a kid, he's a husband/father in his mid-30's who works a white collar job and has zero prior grappling/martial arts experience. He's got a totally average physique, as far as I can tell he doesn't do any training aside from jiujitsu. The only training/diet thing I've heard him say was about a year ago: "I should probably cut down on the scotch after work" (he was feeling a little run down during class that day). He's good everywhere but has a particular affinity for straight ankle locks (and as a consequence I've gotten good at defending them). He routinely takes down or guard-pulls and sweeps muscular twenty something ex-wrestlers. He doesn't compete very much, but he usually wins his bracket in our in-house tournament. He just went to his first IBJJF a couple months ago. We were warm up drilling while waiting for our ring times and he told me exactly what his game plan was. Then later that day I watched him do *exactly* what he said he was going to do. He started about a month after I did and has been training for about a year and a half or so. He's a blue belt and I'm a two-stripe white belt.

Anonymous No. 151329

>>151325
Heck, it wasn't until like 2015 that people started considering physical fitness as being an important component of being successful at jiujitsu

Maybe you remember how skeptical people were when Gordon Ryan started lifting weights thinking oh hes gonna get too big and strong and powerful that's going to hamper his ability
Because they swallowed the lie about how strength and explosivity are not only not important but somehow a net negative when you're wrestling

"B-but royce Gracie proved even small people can use jiujitsu effectively"
My nigga royce gracie is 6'1" and fought at 175, which means his actual weight is in the 190s
Hes not exactly a fucking manlet. Choose a coherent example next time to make your argument

That's ultimately why 10th planet is disappearing, they havent adopted modern training methods(and by modern I mean anything post 1980) , they still just smoke weed and do yoga

Image not available

416x900

FymCXd0XoAACTzO.jpg

Anonymous No. 151334

>>151318

Anonymous No. 151337

>>151318
probably some unheard of macaco done dm’d a 15 year old with huge tits and somehow he’s pedo for it because anglos are insane

Anonymous No. 151338

>>151323
I'm 3 months in and I 100% agree, I don't feel like my game is going anywhere. General concepts are the only thing I can get from instructionals. Executing a technique takes reps, hundreds of them - especially at this stage.

Having a brother to practice with every day, or a group of bros to put up with this like https://www.youtube.com/@BjjDrillers is a cheat code.

Anonymous No. 151340

know what's really gay? when you're wearing a gi and people get all pissy when you reap and heel hook
BRO THAT'S ILLEGAL
oh sorry faggot I didn't realize we were in an ibjjf match right now. Shut the fuck up

Anonymous No. 151341

>>151340
>know what's really gay?
when you're wearing a gi

Anonymous No. 151342

>>151341
I wear a gi for the same reason I wear an eye patch when I do striking
I like to give my opponent a fair chance

I tried rolling blind fold in the past but actually that's much easier than it seems

Image not available

1500x1033

trump_mad.png

Anonymous No. 151351

WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING TO THIS WORLD

>be me, purple belt at small school in kentucky
>school is great. nothing special, but we're a family. average school for a city of 10k with classes 3x a week
>monday class. black belt instructor, me, & white belts, & a blue belt drop-in from San Diego, CA & Austin, TX
>drop in is a transgendered MAN that claims to be a woman
>warmup, move of the day, & get to rolling
>cowabungaitis.jpg
>drop-in tranny fucks up the white belts with ease
>enforcer time
>get tapped w/ an armbar
>turn it up to 100%
>winning the roll, but they heel hook me IN THE FUCKING GI
>tell him you can't heel hook in the Gi at this school. Stop doing that shit
>tranny tells me if you're going to go 100% then so am I & this is how I roll at 100%. If you don't want me at 100% then don't give me 100%
>professor giga mad. excited to see this tranny get demolished. prof is an old school pedro sauer black belt so i know this will be quick work
>gets heel hooked almost immediately
>tells tranny they have to leave & can't come back because they're doing unsafe submissions for their skill level

WHO LET FUCKING TRANNIES INTO THIS SPORT WHO THE FUCK IS PROMOTING TRANNIES

Anonymous No. 151353

>>151351
>prof is an old school pedro sauer black belt
>gets heel hooked almost immediately

makes perfect sense to me, you're learning jiujitsu 30 years out of date. The tranny was right in this case I'm afraid
should quit and go to chewys place

Image not available

1280x720

200916192921-03-t....png

Anonymous No. 151355

>>151353
nah the tranny is in the wrong i feel like. my schools like family.

>"I got promoted to blue in 6 months by keenan"

He's full of shit & sandbagging I know it. They shouldn't be allowed to train. They're mentally deranged & shouldn't be trusted on the mats. Who the fuck heel hooks in the Gi, esp when visiting a school? Show some respect.

Anonymous No. 151356

>>151353
also I'm nowhere near chewy's place. We're in a small town in the mountains. It's 3+ hrs away. We never get to compete because everything is so far away but we work our asses off.

Anonymous No. 151359

>>151351
>>151353
what pisses me off the most is the smug look this fucker had on his face. His water bottle has antifa stickers & shit on it. Are trannies actually out here dojo storming now? WHO THE FUCK IS PROMOTING TRANNIES ARE YOU SERIOUS KEENAN GOD DAMN CORNELIUS IS PROMOTING TRANNIES NOW???

Image not available

1920x1080

1679005955344.png

Anonymous No. 151362

>>151351
>>151353
god i'm actually fucking seething & it's been 2 days. About to go to class & I know the vibe is gonna be off. The group chat has been silent ever since. This shit makes me wanna join Patriot Front

Anonymous No. 151364

>>151351
>>151355
>>151356
>>151362
Jesus dude. Breath. Looks like she really got to you. Promoting a tranny that wants to travel the country dojo storming little hole in the wall traditional Pedro Sauer schools honestly seems just like the kinda thing Keenan would do for the lulz. He hates all that traditional crap.

Image not available

796x588

1686694784289815.png

Anonymous No. 151367

Just started getting into BJJ, what are some fundamental gaurds,sweeps,passes and submissions I should try to learn? Insturctoer keeps teaching submissions for back and side control but whenever i'm rolling in class I can't do shit since I don't know how to fucking do anything

Anonymous No. 151375

>>151351
>>151355
>>151362
>shitty hillbilly gym gets heelhooked by blue belt
>mad at trans people instead of shitty coach
>concerned about gender instead of learning leg locks
This is your jiu jitsu on /pol/. A bunch of fat inbred hillbillies crying because they can't take a nap in half guard
>>151367
Start with half guard. Learn sweeps/subs/backtakes from bottom, and then how to pass half guard. Also be sure to take some time (or ask your coach) for escapes.
Youtube can get you very far, but if you want to spend money I would suggest submeta (Lachlan Giles's site). You can't really go wrong with any of the major BJJ youtubers you'll come across (Chewjitsu, Lachlan, BJJFanatics Danaher clips)

Anonymous No. 151382

>>151362
no but for real you should be skeptical of your coach if he can't beat a blue belt on estrogen. I think part of your feeling is you're having some cognitive dissonance where a person you look up to and trust to be teaching you things lost in an embarrassing fashion
maybe it's all you have near by, but then you need to start watching instructionals or something because the mats don't lie
and this is the problem with allowing drop ins too. My policy is if you want to drop in you pay for the month like everybody else. You don't get to use my space al a carte while my people are paying more money to be there. You become a full fledged member or take a walk.

I suggest you start making overnight trips for tournaments and go as a team. We've done it before to places 3 hours away in different states, just carpool and make a weekend out of it
twice a year is all you need to see where you stand vs your peers

>>151364
>seems just like the kinda thing Keenan would do for the lulz
yeah he's a troll, but also really dead pan when he talks so it's hard to get a read on him. I went out to dinner with him once and it was a weird time
strange flow to the conversation

Anonymous No. 151384

>>151367
Minimum viable BJJ I think is to learn at least the following:

three escapes that you can do COLD:
>How to escape mount
>How to break a closed guard
>How to escape getting smashed inside control

four transitions, passably okay:
>a guard pass to side control or mount from a successfully escaped closed guard.
>a guard pass from half guard to side control or mount
>a pass from side control to mount
>a back take

and five submissions you ideally can do, but are at least aware exist, know high risk positions for getting caught in them, and know the basics of defending against if they don't have it tight:
>A triangle
>An arm bar
>A rear naked choke
>A collar choke
>An ankle lock

There's a fuckton more to learn, but the above get you from
>endlessly ragdolled white belt who the blue belts wreck, and
>useless in a real world grapple besides raw muscling
To
>slightly annoying white belt that the blue belts need to pay attention to while rolling and
>absolutely wrecking untrained opponents who can't raw muscle you

Anonymous No. 151394

>>151382
Depends how old his coach is. If he's some old boomer then I don't really expect him to be able to handle anyone decently competent going hard. I've rolled with a 60 something 5th degree black belt who actively goes to high-level gyms in our country to do privates with their coaches (he's a bit famous in striking so they're happy to accommodate him) so he can keep up on the new moves that are working nowadays, and while he does know what he's doing, I only really have to start putting some strength and I can overpower him and do what I want. I can imagine a competitive blue belt tranny who focuses on leglocks wiping out anyone around 50 or over, no matter the skilll.

Image not available

360x202

Rule.png

Anonymous No. 151398

>>151382
>>151394

>Keenan leg locking autistic tranny blue belt
vs
>hillbilly "black belt" in the middle of nowhere with a handful of students

10 to 1 odds this tranny is living at the fucking gym from sun up to sun down sitting in a corner bumbling on about danaher watching instructionals 6 hours a day between classes while your coach has a blue collar job.

IDK what you expected to happen. I'm guessing you tried to smash this person & are now just pissed it didn't go your way. Same with your coach. I hate troons but ngl this is based. Not that I fall for the mental illness in believing troons are women, but if I was a woman & a guy tried to smash me I'd probably grab his legs too.

>visitor from legion hq
>get pissy they tapped you instead of trying to suck "her dick" to get free absolute bleeding fucking edge leglock knowledge
>attached img.jpg
Blue belt or not a legion hq colored belt is gonna know a thing or 2 about leg locks that you don't.

Anonymous No. 151399

>>151367
Go to grapple arts dot com and get Stephen Kesting's "roadmap to BJJ" freebie ebook. It's by no means a comprehensive textbook, but I found it pretty helpful back when I was a karate guy randomly dabbling in BJJ, and I retained a lot of info from it years later when I started training BJJ in earnest.

Anonymous No. 151402

>>151394
age matters but I can't see a blue belt beating an older black belt unless he's seriously physically outmatched. The skill gap should make up for the difference in athleticism, really that's the whole point of this.

the owner of my place is an over 60 retired boomer grandpa that was blue or purple before danaher had even started, but he keeps in shape the best he can and is still built like a brick shithouse
he doesn't roll too often, just a few times a week, and when he does he takes longer breaks in between, but when he does he gets after it
I just cant see a world in which a random blue belt tranny beats him because he's really good at shutting down that youthful energy and cooking people
most important though he stays current, he's up to date on all the ashi stuff
I went with him and a 35 year old black belt a day apart and the 35 year old was a way easier roll, I actually had to turn it down a bit on him because he was having trouble escaping my mount and I felt bad

I know a few over 50 black belts that can't defend the rank, but I know more than a few that wouldn't have any problem with random blue belts
there's no shame if you just can't do it the way you used to because your body is fucked, but if you know that then you just have a student act as the enforcer
if he took the roll it means he expected to win and got caught with his pants down

Anonymous No. 151416

so this...is the power of Brazilian jiujitsu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IyTcM34ABM

my favorite part is how he does a hip throw without dropping his hip below the person hes throwing whatsoever
I tell ya that really inspires me to become a black belt in this fucking bullshit

Anonymous No. 151426

>>151416
americans grade like this?
at my gym you just get graded after successive competition wins

Anonymous No. 151432

>>151426
that's how the brazilians grade

Anonymous No. 151457

>>151351
Heel hooking in the gi is a waste of time.

The good news is there's a 61% chqnce this problem won't reoccur.

Anonymous No. 151458

Why is everyone responding to that shitpost? I've seen it before

Anonymous No. 151530

Competing this weekend. Nogi 215+ master beginner. Second time competing, but God damm I'm about as nervous as last time. I've worked pretty hard and know I'll perform better than last time though. My first match, I didn't even have a coach and didn't shake the opposing coaches hand after.

Anonymous No. 151537

>>151399
>Go to grapple arts dot com and get Stephen Kesting's "roadmap to BJJ" freebie ebook
http://www.grapplearts.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Roadmap-for-BJJ-1.5-1.pdf
he's also got this one:
>10 Ways to Shrimp and Improve Your Hip Mobility on the Ground
http://www.grapplearts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/10-Ways-to-Shrimp-and-Improve-Hip-Mobility-on-the-Ground.pdf

Image not available

840x709

437-4370721_61-kb....jpg

Anonymous No. 151549

>>151537
>>151384
appricated

Anonymous No. 151648

White belt here. I have all of Danaher's Go Further Faster instructionals and am currently watching the pin escapes volume. How should I go about efficiently watching and learning from these? I'd like a deep understanding of both the applied and theory aspects, and I'm not afraid of boring myself to death, I just want to improve like a motherfucker.

Image not available

1248x832

SmartSelect_20230....jpg

Anonymous No. 151653

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/14awgxz/bjj_guy_submits_in_street_fight/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=1&utm_term=1

>reddit
So what's cool here is when it's a real fight against someone with a significant physical advantage it just ends up looking exactly like classical judo the way it's in the manuals, short choke from the knees
Literal text book hadaka jime

At the end of the day we can get fancy but the basics are the basics for a reason

Anonymous No. 151656

>>151159
>Do you have a 'rival'? How have you helped each other improve?
Wouldn't call him a "rival," but there is one dude at my gym who has been an absolute dick to me since I started about a year ago for whatever reason. He's always telling me that I should go to a different gym because I'm not good enough, and that I shouldn't come back until I've won a tournament. Didn't find out until last month that he's only been training for a few months longer than I have and has never competed.

Dude's an absolute prick, and at this point I'm training mainly because I really don't like him. I started showing up 4 times a week, sometimes multiple times a day, just to fucking spite him. For the past month every time I get one submission on him he'll stop rolling with me even when there's still time on the clock.

Anonymous No. 151660

>>151653
>At the end of the day we can get fancy but the basics are the basics for a reason
The further in time we get away from when training was needed for actual combat/self-defense, the more people forget why the basics work and are so important. Everyone wants to practice the fancy spins and tricks to get points at the tournament, but those aren't the things that win fights.

Anonymous No. 151665

>>151648
You need a partner. Then you have to drill with these technique with progressively higher levels of resistance. Personally I get very little out of instructionals unless I do this

Anonymous No. 151677

>>151159
hey guys, i'm very new to BJJ and just started training for the first time last week.

how long should it take someone to get through the gracie combatives? the academy i go to requires people to complete the gracie combatives before you can get to free sparring.

is it hard to remember all the 30 or so techniques?

Anonymous No. 151683

>>151677
>requires people to complete the gracie combatives before you can get to free sparring
Oof
Are you at a Gracie training center?

Combatives are designed to be a time sink, the proverbial carrot on a stick
See how much fun those guys are having rolling? Dont you want to have fun too? Keep paying your membership then

Anonymous No. 151685

>>151683
yeah it's a gracie training center. should i join a different gym that lets you free spar from day one?

Anonymous No. 151694

>>151685
is your instructor a black belt where you are?
The Gracie combatives on their own from what I've seen actually aren't terrible, they're really just fundamental skills and they market them like street self defense which is a little cringe

They are on the extreme end of not letting beginners do any sparring because they are businessmen before anything else and retention is the number one thing they strive for
How can you spar if you dont have any moves yet?
The flip side of that is a lot of places take beginners with no understanding at all and just throw them to the sharks and that is just as bad maybe even worse because you could get injured or just feel really discouraged early on and not wanna keep doing it
For beginner purposes the gracie way isnt going to be bad, but for long term development you're going to eventually outgrow what they offer and a Gracie blue belt is well below the industry standard at this point. When you think about a gracie blue belt they've only been sparring for 3-6 months tops, others have been doing it for 2 or more years

Personally I'm all for beginner segregation with a playful free flowing style of sparring for them, I think that's the best balance

Anonymous No. 151697

>>151685
I tried a Gracie center at first too, and honestly anon I think you'd be better off finding another gym. I switched over to another place where beginners are paired with higher belts to do a slower free flow type thing like >>151694 mentions, and it was just a better way for me to learn by actually trying to do things and getting corrected on it in the moment.

Image not available

540x721

redhead.jpg

Anonymous No. 151782

How long did it take you rolling for things to *click* with you in BJJ?
I've been at this for two months or so and only now do I see openings on how to apply armbars and kimuras

Anonymous No. 151801

>>151782
Different for everyone, but it’s not uncommon to be useless for the first 6 months or so. Try watching some match breakdowns and technique vids on YouTube. It might help you see more opportunities when rolling

Image not available

872x872

1683604538073414.jpg

Anonymous No. 151839

How do I improve my flexablibty? Every other time I go to class I got some type of joint pain, should I just ignore it? I feel like doing so is what would lead to actual injury

Anonymous No. 151840

>>151839
nerve flossing and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation

Anonymous No. 151926

My dudes where can I rip lachlans new stuff? Bilibili and rutracker dont have the stuffs he poston his website. Im just a white belt still but his stuff seems so much better than the others. Some of this stuff is so hard to slog through

Anonymous No. 151961

>>151782
Don't worry. It gets even more fiddly and infuriating. There's an entire chunk of material on just breaking defensive grips for juji gatme, for example.

Anonymous No. 152001

>doing guard retention situation sparring
>I'm on bottom, immediately get double sleeve
>guy tells me I can't grab his sleeves because I grip too strong and he can't break them
>I'm baffled that he would even think of saying someting like this but go with it anyway because he's a young lad
>switch to collar and leg instead and immediately sweep him
kwab

Image not available

200x200

yeah.gif

Anonymous No. 152008

>>151782
There's no "click" moment, so much as increasingly frequent noticed moments of opportunity and more "lucky" things happening, because you're doing things more effectively and they're not
>I think I have a decent shot at a triangle here
>Why is this beginner leaning so far forward, don't they know I can bridge and send them flying?
>They're keep trying to pin my left shoulder down, but if I keep circling like this, either they're going to get tired or have to change up
>Oh, they're tired already? Sucks for them I guess.

Getting better gains tends to look like the above, not a singular enlightenment like
>I totally see the matrix now
>they've entered step 5 of my 900 step omoplata master-sequence
>victory is assured
Doesn't happen.

Anonymous No. 152018

>>152008
>There's no "click" moment
I would argue that once you can roll at a moderate level in a flow state you could call that a "click" moment.

Anonymous No. 152045

The absolute fucking state of BJJ

We're entering aikido levels of bullshido now
https://youtu.be/nKwH2PC36dg

Anonymous No. 152048

>>152045
Good news is bjj is self policing. There's a reason keith owens doesn't matter anymore.

Anonymous No. 152184

Asked a question to this guy I usually spar with and he reacted like I just insulted his teachings personally.
Are all purple+ belts divas or what?

Anonymous No. 152189

>>152184
When you observe a similar response people have in your presence the first question should be am I doing something to cause this reaction?
Some white belts are just annoying and we're tired
There also seems to be this idea that once you reach a certain level you're training time no longer belongs to you and you have to spend time cultivating other people, so it's considered selfish when you don't want to work with them

Now that's not to say this is the reason for what you're experiencing, these are just musings that came to mind when I read the comment

Anonymous No. 152203

>>152184
What was the question?

Anonymous No. 152234

Hey Im still trying to rip lachlan's stuff. No luck anywhere. Am I really going to have to fork money for this stuff? How far can I go with all the free pirated stuff available? I am so done with john's stuff.
>1 year no stripe whitebelt

Anonymous No. 152286

>>151839
dynamic stretching before and after gym, before and after bjj
warmup what is actually tight for you, not according to some arbitrary warmup routine a blue belt made you do

Anonymous No. 152287

>>152234
get together with other people and split the cost if you broke

Anonymous No. 152288

>>152287
you could also just pay for a month once and screenrecord all the shit you want to watch

Anonymous No. 152289

>>152234
Lachlan is a loser, not sure why you'd waste your time with his stuff when gordon ryan puts out quality content on the reg.

Anonymous No. 152328

>>152234
mma-torrents

Anonymous No. 152365

>>152289
Gordon is a bad instructor with a whiny voice and American accent

Anonymous No. 152366

>>152365
>>152289
Whether or not the instructor is a good fighter or good instructor won't mean shit if the student can't process the lesson. You'll get more out of whoever you understand better, and that isn't anything either guy can control.

Anonymous No. 152371

>>152289
In the pile of broke and broken former BJJ competitors, he's the biggest winner
>pioneer of the game
>beats roidmonkeys in absolute division as a manlet
>the second-best grappler in the world is his protege
>stays in Australia to enjoy a comfy life, wife, beaches
>runs a successful merch store that supplies the coolest team in the game right now, B-team
>launches his own platform so he keeps 100% of the revenue without getting jewed by BJJFanatics
>at a price everyone can afford and the best production value, meanwhile a multi-million dollar company cannot be assed to afford a 50$ microphone

Anonymous No. 152378

>>152371
>Never beat gordon
>Loser supreme
>Has a shit gym wherein theres no other medalists
>Jews everyone
>His real last name is j#wish
Fuck you kike spammer

Anonymous No. 152381

>>151159
did you guys have a hard time remembering moves and understanding "why" you have to do certain things when you started bjj? i took my first bjj class yesterday and the instructor covered the triangle choke and i didn't get it at all. i couldn't remember all the steps and i didnt understand why they needed to be done.

Anonymous No. 152383

>>152381
Yes, that's just being a white belt
Keep showing up, sometimes you may feel like it's not going anywhere, and then you get a big breakthrough in the very next session. The biggest mistake guys make is not being consistent

Anonymous No. 152385

>>152383
makes sense, thanks anon.

the worst part was that a brown belt was helping me and showing me where to put my legs and hands but i still wasn't able to grasp the concept. does it get more intuitive the more you do it?

Image not available

500x360

matrix_orig.jpg

Anonymous No. 152387

>>152385
>>152381
Is this your first time taking part in something that requires a good deal of physical control? If so, that's a big part of it.

Anonymous No. 152388

>>152387
>Is this your first time taking part in something that requires a good deal of physical control?
yes, first time. i do go to the gym but i mostly use machines that don't really require you to have fine control over your body.

is it possible to get better at bjj if i am starting with below average motor skills in my mid 20s?

Anonymous No. 152389

>>152388
Of course. It's just that you're doing two things at once so it's going to slog for awhile. You'll likely start seeing many things on the machines that you hadn't thought of or noticed before at some point.

Anonymous No. 152393

>>152381
>triangles on the first day
Big oof

You should be shrimping and maybe learning an Americana

Anonymous No. 152396

>>152389
>>152393
thanks anons, i'll keep at it.

Anonymous No. 152398

>>152388
There is a guy with one arm and no legs doing BJJ, and you're not even in your physical prime yet
First month I started training we were doing sweeps and my brain would fart 2/10 moves in (for just one sweep). Then 3/10, 5/10, and when I finally did it in live rolling it felt like a million bucks.

Anonymous No. 152414

>>152045
>SBG

Nigga that's all you needed to know

Anonymous No. 152416

>>152365
He's not a bad instructor. If you can stomach his deadpan autism, he's one of the best teachers you can ask for - far more tolerable than Danaher. I've gained shitloads from his half guard and seated guard instructionals and I'm not even 1/4 of the way through them

Image not available

640x480

duck.png

Anonymous No. 152438

>>152378
>implying your opinions are useless if you are not beaten the literal best grappler in the world
If you want to learn good technique, you want to learn it from watching or fighting against a prize-winning manlet, especially competing in absolute divisions.

You know with CERTAINTY they sure as shit ain't winning matches by being strong, so anything they're doing is generally the absolutely min-maxxed version of what can be done.

Also, if you're going to be an anti-semetic retard, at least be a correct anti-semetic retard
>Lachlan is a masculine name of Irish origin, meaning “from the land of lakes” or “from the fjord land.”
>It is an Anglicized version of the Gaelic and Scottish Lachlann, which means “warrior from the land of the lochs” with loch meaning “lake” or “fjord” and lann translating to “land.”
Name's Scotts-Irish, moron.

🗑️ Anonymous No. 152443

>>>/vg/434152563
Artificial Academy 2 General /aa2g/ #1283b
Speech Edition

Welcome, this general is for the discussion of ILLUSION's Artificial Academy 2.

COPY ERROR MESSAGES WITH CTRL+C, PASTE THEM WITH CTRL+V INTO GOOGLE TRANSLATE. JUST CLICK THE WINDOW AND PRESS CTRL + C, IT WORKS.

>Downloads:
/aa2g/ Pre-Installed Game, AA2Mini: https://tsukiyo.me/AAA/AA2MiniPPX.xml
AAUnlimited updates: https://github.com/aa2g/AA2Unlimited/releases

>Information:
AA2Mini Install Guide:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vS8Ap6CrmSNXRsKG9jsIMqHYuHM3Cfs5qE5nX6iIgfzLlcWnmiwzmOrp27ytEMX03lFNRR7U5UXJalA/pub
General FAQ:
https://web.archive.org/web/20200216045726/https://pastebin.com/bhrA6iGx
AAU Guide and Resources (Modules, Tans, Props, Poses, and More):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17qb1X0oOdMKU4OIDp8AfFdLtl5y_4jeOOQfPQ2F-PKQ/edit#gid=0

>Character Cards [Database], now with a list of every NonOC in the megas:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1niC6g-Xd2a2yaY98NBFdAXnURi4ly2-lKty69rkQbJ0/edit#gid=2085826690
https://db.bepis.moe/aa2/

>Mods & More:
Mods for AAU/AA2Mini (ppx format, the mediafire has everything):
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/vwrmdohus4vhh/Mods
/aa2g/ Modding Reference Guide (Slot lists for Hair/Clothes/Faces, List Guides, and More):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gwmoVpKuSuF0PtEPLEB17eK_dexPaKU106ShZEpBLhg/edit#gid=1751233129
Booru: https://aau.booru.org

>HELP! I have a Nvidia card and my game crashes on startup!
Try the dgVoodoo option in the new win10fix settings.
Alternative: Update your AAU and see if it happens again. If so, disable win10fix, enable wined3d and software vertex processing.
>HELP! Required Windows 11 update broke things!
winkey+R -> ms-settings:developers -> Terminal=Windows Console Host

Previous Thread:
>>434085771

Anonymous No. 152482

>>152289
I'm training yes-gi since that's the closest one available to me. Gordon Ryan's stuff is mostly the same as John's stuff isnt it? I went through most of Johns fundamentals already. Im still trying to slog through The Shall not pass instructional though since it's so highly rated
Lachlan's format is just much more digestible anyway I think most the fanatics dvd are way outdated in terms of presentation

Anonymous No. 152508

Would you rather be significantly stronger or have significantly better cardio than your opponents? You can only choose one so no autistic answers please.

Anonymous No. 152512

>>152508
I like my chances wrestling a marathon runner over a chimpanzee, and by a long shot.

Anonymous No. 152513

>>152508
Strength is the most important thing in jiujitsu/combat sports at large
That's why they strength shame people, because if you use that physical attribute you're advantage is realistically too vast to overcome, For all the talk of using thing that other persons energy and leverage and all this other stuff it's BS compared to a powerful man

That's why people will never talk shit about you for having good agility, or flexibility, or cardio. In fact having those things will earn you praise, because all of those things can be overcome with technique. but they will talk shit about you for using strength, something just as legitimate as all those other things which takes time and work to cultivate because it's inconvenient to the narrative martial arts likes to sell people. Because at the end of the day it doesn't matter how fine tuned the vehicle is if it doesn't have horse power

Image not available

1280x824

FwncU5eacAA_MLJ.jpg

Anonymous No. 152514

>>152513
>That's why they strength shame people

Anonymous No. 152515

>>152508
Better cardio always. Play a defensive and annoying guard, letting them spazz until they’re too tired to defend your sweeps and submissions

Anonymous No. 152518

>>152514
"Stop using strength"
You're never going to hear someone say stop using flexibility

It's a massive fucking cope, what they're saying is stop using strength because I can't beat you when you do

Anonymous No. 152522

>>152518
>what they're saying is stop using strength because I can't beat you when you do
Please let this be performative retardation.

Anonymous No. 152523

>>152518
Using overt strength to torque through something isn't necessarily a problem for a live action. Relying on it while learning will be a hard knowledge gate long term, and you're placing it on yourself. This shits hard enough man.

Anonymous No. 152528

>>152518
This isn't the first time I've seen someone moving dirt walk right past a wheelbarrow for two buckets. It is the first time I've ever heard someone call the wheelbarrow a ploy to keep the working man down though.

Scrooge McDuck telling you "work smarter, not harder" was not a Scottish conspiracy.

Image not available

1000x1000

poster,840x830,f8....jpg

Anonymous No. 152535

>>152513
>> Strength is the most important thing in jiujitsu/combat sports at large
Not really - mass is, which is why every combat sport including BJJ has weight divisions, not strength divisions.

The subtle reason why is that although strength is fine and dandy, it's very much the slave of technique and cardio. Don't have technique? That strength isn't going to save you, you can find dozens of videos of strongmen body-builders getting pretzeled by skinny twink manlets. Don't have energy? That strength doesn't help you, fight hulking white belts and all you have to do is tell them to pass your legs from standing, fight's over in 30 seconds because they're invariably huffing like they're ready to die after which you can do what you please with them.

But mass? Mass ALWAYS helps, even if your technique and cardio are dogshit:
>Physics makes it harder for them to move you around against your will
>You can simply lie on lower-mass people and gravity will do all the work of flattening them out, meaning you can win fights by doing absolutely nothing
When you try to pass or escape guards with technique, it's a literal force multiplier that outpaces strength
>your knee cuts are more crushing and it's harder to resist them taking mount
>your side control is more crushing and untrained people will surrender when flattened
>closed guards are harder to hold because the legs are holding more and start further spaced
>your shoves and picks of the legs from standing have more mass behind them and therefore throw the opponent with more momentum

Strength in humans is typically proportional to mass anyways, so if you start with mass, you usually get strength for free anyways.

Anonymous No. 152537

>>152522
>>152523
>>152528
I'm not gonna listen to what someone I just beat tell me what I should and shouldn't be doing
I'm the king of the stiff arm. I blast that motherfucker in there any time I'm not happy with the range we're in, and push them right out
it pisses people off but they just need to get better instead of complaining about it

There was one time a guy was trying to mount me I just shoved my hand into his armpit and popped him right off
Then he's talking shit saying "yeah well he was just using strength so I couldn't do it"
Bro if your mount is so shit I can 1 arm push you off of me and sit up, that's your fault not mine. Get better at jiujitsu

I'm not even big, I only lift weights like 3x a week but even that much seems to be more than most of these lazy fucks can handle

Anonymous No. 152539

>>152537
>beat
>training
I'm not reading a wall of cope about why you suck

Anonymous No. 152540

>>152539
Treating sparring like there aren't any stakes is the only cope here
That's something people that chronically lose rolls and have a poor KD ratio tell themselves to stay motivated

Anonymous No. 152553

>>152537
Pushing people off with gorilla-retard moves doesn't sound very fun. Get better training partners and learn jiu jitsu. Better yet, compete and get beaten by people your size who actually have technique

Gordon Ryan is massive and juiced like a bodybuilder, but he's more technical than pretty much anyone. You must be low IQ to not have any desire to actually learn skills

Anonymous No. 152554

>>152537
If you're just gonna muscle them, why bother learning Jiu jitsu?

Any retard on the street can be told
>if they're on top of you, just push them off hard!
And you definitely don't need to spend 100-200 a month in BJJ gym dues to learn or practice how to do that.

Anonymous No. 152555

>>152553
The jiujitsu must change to suit the individual

Anonymous No. 152556

>>152554
The bigger concern is why can't people overcome it

Anonymous No. 152557

>>152556
because you're stronger and they're not good enough at something else to offset that? This isn't an own, strength is obviously going to win you some fights, full stop.

My point is if you really believe
>it's genuinely all strength, baby
why even train BJJ? Normal gyms are going to get you a lot stronger a lot faster, seems like you're leaving money and time on the table here if your strategy is "win fights by raw overpowerment"

Anonymous No. 152558

>>152540
You retard faggot get this through your thick whitebelt skull: he's not saying there shouldnt be urgency but rather if you want to get better that is not the focus

No one is saying strength isnt good. It just wont cultivate your technique (the result of your training habit) when you have to fight someone even or better.

Stop shoving clueless whitebelts 30 ppunds lighter than you with one arm retard.

>But i wont do it to people better than me

Yes you will if all you do is stupid shit like the above. There is no time for it. Every timr you do stupid shit that doesnt work you just wasted both theirs and your time to work shit

Image not available

600x402

like-a-mile.jpg

Anonymous No. 152559

> this thread right now
And you people replying to him are part of the problem.

Anonymous No. 152560

What if you're rolling with a girl, she submits you, and accidently tap on her ass?

Anonymous No. 152561

>>152560
Still better than going to frame in no-gi and slapping her hard in the titty. Shit happens, bro.

Anonymous No. 152563

>>152557
because I'm having fun
>>152558
get shoved

Anonymous No. 152564

I'm not going to read all this discussion, but strength is obviously really important if you want to compete in bjj, the point is that you shouldn't rely that much in your strength when training, you should focus on your technique, otherwise you won't get better.
When you compete, that's when you have to use every advantage you have, like strength. That's why weight classes exist.

Anonymous No. 152565

>>152564
The counterpoint here what if you're a flexible lanklet and you don't need to go through the triangle process of stuffing and arm through, putting the foot on the hip, lifting the arm across, cutting an angle, walking the shoulders back. you just open your legs and snatch him up there like a bear trap
We all know that guy

His physical attributes means he doesnt need to follow the same steps as everyone else, but nobody is going to say "hey do it the right way and take all those redundant steps you don't need!"

What hes doing is in effect no different then a strong guy slipping and armbar by yanking it out like he's starting a lawn mower

Anonymous No. 152574

>>152565
That's great until lanklet has to triangle some yoked up human sparkplug that never evolved a neck, or lawnmower man draws someone in his weight class too strong to muscle fuck out of position. Every year you get tremendously physically gifted athletes that don't get picked up for a D1 team, and when they see some mere mortal daring playing their position, you hear them saying shit like "I guess the coaches didn't know talent when they see it."

Maybe talent never bothered to learn the game. Which is a shame, because that's how greats are born.

Image not available

200x200

1680151241575888.jpg

Anonymous No. 152592

How should I got about improving my flexablity? I know there's dynamic vs static stretching and we usally do dynamic in the form of warm ups before class but would static help at all? Can you train both or only, I have shit flexablity in everyhing

Anonymous No. 152594

>>152592
Do what gymnasts do. Vid related is a sample routing sped up like 5x, use closed captioning or headphones if you can't hear
https://youtu.be/ohedOqv7vbQ

Anonymous No. 152596

>>152560
It's completely fine, but only if you whisper "good girl" on her ear afterwards.

Anonymous No. 152637

>>151221
he just like me fr

Anonymous No. 152658

I'm not trying to shill but are Elite gi good? My Hawk GI feels awkward.

Anonymous No. 152663

>>152658
Or any other that won't break the bank?

Anonymous No. 152664

>>152663
I dunno, everyone seems to be using sanabul now
I never had one but everybody else buys them

Anonymous No. 152665

>>152658
typical bjj dork. you cant even do a pr opertakedown but you are more worried about your gi. baka desu senpai

Image not available

550x535

1675498501303254.jpg

Anonymous No. 152667

>be really new at bjj
>uncoordinated, don't understand how to do techniques unless they are shown to me like 3 times
>can't visualize what's going on with my legs and my opponent's legs during a drill if i cant see them directly
>was at class yesterday, 2 purple belts had to move my legs into the right positions before i grasped the triangle choke

is this normal or am i just retarded? i feel pretty embarrassed that i'm wasting higher belt guys' time when everyone else doesn't seem to need as much hands-on guidance. i'm 1 week into bjj and feel like a drooling moron

Anonymous No. 152668

>>152667
>>152381
Is this you?

Anonymous No. 152670

>>152667
You are just a paypig for some loser that used to roll with a noncompetition blackbelt.

Anonymous No. 152671

>>152668
no but it sounds like that anon's having the same problem as me. should i just keep showing up and bothering higher belts to do drills with me until i stop being clumsy and retarded? i honestly feel bad that they have to put in so much work to help me out when other people seem to just get it

>>152670
i don't really care even if this was the case, i'm only concerned with learning and improving, but i'm so uncoordinated that i don't know if i'm actually getting any value out of going to a bjj gym.

Anonymous No. 152672

>>152671
Read what we replied to that brother. It's completely normal to feel like a drooling moron, but if you keep showing up, you'll be able to make people in their 1st week, month, year, two years look like drooling morons. Your coordination is not the problem, but your mindset.
>t. 4 months in, if you say "post your right arm", I'll post my left leg, and morning sessions are basically purple belts giving private lessons to me

Anonymous No. 152673

>>152672
>shitty whitebelt that is proud of his mcdojo stripes talking like he knows shit
Please tell us where you train so i can laugh at your sensei giving away purple belts like its cool.

Anonymous No. 152674

>>152672
thanks anon, will keep at it.

Anonymous No. 152675

>>152673
Please tell us where you went to elementary school so I can laugh at your teacher not teaching you how to read

Anonymous No. 152677

>>152658
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure all the cheapo gis on Amazon are all made in the same factory in Pakistan. Personally, my favorite is this one:
https://a.co/d/4qc3vRh

Totally generic, not a stitch of color. It's completely unbranded, except for a small patch that can be easily removed.

Anonymous No. 152678

>>152675
You pay some gay shitter 500 bucks a month to roll with other white dorks. I pay a felon Philly nigger 20 bucks a month to box. We are not the same.

Anonymous No. 152698

>>152670
>noncompetition blackbelt
aka someone that actually has a life

seriously anyone that engages in the bjj tournament scene is pitiful
you're an adult, get a job

Anonymous No. 152702

>>152671
>i'm so uncoordinated that i don't know if i'm actually getting any value out of going to a bjj gym
not really a fan of this why am I not immediately good at something mentality
but also the only way to improve coordination is by doing things that challenge your coordination?

I dont get why everyone teaches beginners triangles though, it just shows the poor teaching standards bjj has in general.
the triangle isn't a fundamental move, in fact it's an intermediate to advanced one to do correctly
it's really complex and requires more set up than most other things as a matter of fact

any move that requires particular set up has no value to beginners
they get taught this thing as a white belt and don't have any of the other tools to hit it consistently until purple
total waste of everyone's time

Anonymous No. 152705

>>152667
>is this normal
Yes. Visualization is the beginning, but sometimes hands on is how you fix issues. This is common in coaching anything from tee-ball to dancing to wrestling.

Anonymous No. 152707

god I wish that were me

Anonymous No. 152723

>>151182
You'd be better off using a small low profile upper mouth guard like a sisu

Anonymous No. 152741

>>152678
You're right, he learned how to actually win a streetfight and you got CTE and anus expansions.

Anonymous No. 152761

>>152702
>I dont get why everyone teaches beginners triangles though
They're good jingley keys for newbies and a pleasing distraction from their failures.

Most beginner play is overwhelmingly focused on getting closed guard, side control, mount, and the back because they're the fundamental positions and everything else is a response to the above.

From a pedagogy perspective, though, closed guard feels the hardest to motivate, because it's not obvious why it's something you should be doing. People learning closed guard want a justification
>what's the point of closed guard though?
And because a long speech about positional hierarchies gets really repetitive and your students will hate you if you repeatedly give it to the whole class every time a new prospective white belt walks in the gym, its easier to say
>It's a safe neutral position and you can do stuff from it. Here's an example called the triangle...

And then they're happy as clams because even if they don't have ANY of the knowledge, strength, skill, or endurance to actually land one in a roll, it tentatively hints at potential that they'll land them later and gives you something to excite them with.

Anonymous No. 152772

>>152761
The funny thing is when you take a critical approach to it you realize closed guard isn't fundamental either

Open guard is
What's the first thing you need to do with your guard if you want to attack? Open it
So to that end, Open guard is both an offensive and defensive position and closed guard is purely defensive
It's like teaching a boxer how to shell up in the corner for their first lesson
You could hypothetically go through your entire jiujitsu career and never close your guard once
But you couldn't say the same for open guard, it's essential and so that's the true fundamental position

Anonymous No. 152828

Why am I so shit at arm triangles?

Anonymous No. 152831

>>151159
Ok

Anonymous No. 152832

>>151159
What the hell

Anonymous No. 152847

>>152702
What should I do as a beginner? I only ever manage to score RNCs, leg locks and occasional shoulder locks from the back

Anonymous No. 152850

>>152847
Training for about a year and a half btw, built like Franco Columbu

Anonymous No. 152950

I have a crush on this one girl.

Image not available

400x366

1687632363532.jpg

Anonymous No. 152954

Be honest, how often do you wash your Gi?

Anonymous No. 152955

>>152954
After every single class. Come home, chuck it straight into the machine. Of course, I swear more than any man you have ever met, so it's not optional for me.

Anonymous No. 152956

>>152954
Laundry is always going. Got 3 that just stay in a forever rotation. One will be wearable, one drying on the line, one pre soaking.

Anonymous No. 152957

>>152954
if you're not washing it every time you need to buy another or quit, nobody wants that shit

Image not available

1000x1000

1687634114529.jpg

Anonymous No. 152962

>>152957
>>152954
This Gi looks BEAUTIFUL

Anonymous No. 152964

>>152955
>I swear more than any man
*sweat more
Of course, my internal monologue is at least 70% profanity, but usually can keep that suppressed.

Anonymous No. 152965

>>152954
how do you guys wash your gi? i do machine cold wash and tumble dry

Anonymous No. 152966

>>152965
Hot water
1 cup of tide
I throw it with my every day clothes

Anonymous No. 152967

>>152962
I don't hate fancy gis, I just don't understand how the market for them is so big. If you're getting paid to wear it, or otherwise making money wearing it, I get it. But how is there so much of a consumer side for the sheer number of them?

Anonymous No. 152971

Went to an open mat. Had a good time.

Image not available

1500x1499

1687638889969.jpg

Anonymous No. 152974

I'm between buying a Venum or Elite.
Someone shill me something.

Anonymous No. 152975

>>152667
Just keep showing up. Some moves and concepts take longer to figure out depending on you and your instructor.

Anonymous No. 152976

>>152772
>closed guard is purely defensive

No it isn't. You can pull guard and use it to attack. Or it is a defense if you get double legged. It's like saying a knife is just for cutting steak, well you can also cut a piece of bread with it too.

>>152828
Get a deeper bite.

>>152847
Go train.

>>152954
Immediately throw it in the wash, hang dry. I shower BEFORE and after class.

>>152974
fuji supraito

Anonymous No. 152980

>>152974
I have 2 venum gis, they shrunk like total motherfuckers I can't even get them on anymore
they're the only gis I own that shrank this much and they both did it, also they sent me the wrong one when I ordered one
and then I had purchased some other stuff from them on clearance, paid, then they cancelled my order
all around it has been a poor experience with their company

elites budget brand though, I only have their nogi stuff, shorts which I don't care for because of the velcro placement it kept getting caught on the leg of the pants, the rash guard is fine

Anonymous No. 152981

>>152974
>>152976
Seconded for Fuji superaito.

If you just want a cheap/generic gi, this one:
>>152677

Anonymous No. 152990

>>152974
I wear Braus but I don't know if you can get them outside of Australia. Just keep in mind the IBJJF is changing their gi specifications for (((some reason))) next year so if for some crazy reason you'd ever want to do their comps, maybe check it's compatible with them as well.

Anonymous No. 152996

>>152990
>Braus
>BR
>AUS
Hues with mullets. Terrifying.

Anonymous No. 153005

Friends, can you tell me where the grappling generals went? It was usually for wrestling (Greco, catch, etc)

Anonymous No. 153030

>>152967
When I imagine a gi practitioner it's a middle aged white collar worker. A man's earning potential peaks at 48. Look at music, fishing, cars, golf - BJJ is CHEAP. I think a lot more can be done to skim the cream, ex. every company offering to customize gis for an exorbitant price.

Image not available

1800x1800

1687713028996.jpg

Anonymous No. 153065

I decided to purchase this bros

Anonymous No. 153071

>>153030
I guess that makes sense. People with the income to get them and let them get fucked up, but not necessarily the amount of constant mat time that will get them fucked up too quickly.

Anonymous No. 153075

>>153065
My panda has served me well for the better part of 5 years now, I have like 11 gis but I still use it at least 2 times a week and it goes through the dryer

It's probably close to its last roll, the knees and collar especially are getting pretty raggity, so I'm reducing usage to preserve it a bit longer

Anonymous No. 153080

>>153075
10 year? Jesus dude. It's lasted

Anonymous No. 153085

>>153075
Is it soft and light?

Anonymous No. 153087

>>153085
Yeah it's not heavy, I don't use any kind of softener on it so I wouldn't call it soft, but it's not cardboard and sand paper the way some of my gis feel
More like an old kitchen towel

Anonymous No. 153102

I took my first class last week and had a great time. There’s a rule at the gym where new guys have to attend classes for a few weeks or demonstrate a certain level of proficiency before being able to roll on the open mat. I probably should have asked one of the instructors when they mentioned it but I wonder what are some of the things they might be looking for before they give me the green light?

Anonymous No. 153106

>>153102
Knowing when to tap. Knowing when your partner is. Not being a spazz. Being ok being in pain. Not ripping your partners apart if you're strong or big. Aka they can trust you're not gonna hurt anyone unnecessarily or get hurt because you're dumb or an asshole.

Anonymous No. 153118

My neck is fucked and I'm supposed to compete next weekend =/

Anonymous No. 153119

>>153118
Now you learned your lesson, gotta tap bro
Always remember your ego is stronger than you'd vertebrae

Anonymous No. 153120

>>153119
I did tap, it was an illegal move. I did everything right, it's not my fault, someone is an asshole.

Anonymous No. 153185

>>152954
Every class
>Drenched in my sweat
>Drenched in my opponents sweat
>Covered in floor cooties
>Sometimes blood, snot or drool if someone fucked up

The gi is the single grossest article of clothing I own and the v ery first move whenever I get home is to put that shit in the wash.

Image not available

329x162

1376898830936.gif

Anonymous No. 153216

Any Socal/OC bros can point me in a direction? I'm a newbie who trained for like 5ish months back in 2015 and I'm looking to get back into it. I live in Irvine now and I'm scouting places to try. I've noted:
>10th planet costa mesa
>Team Oyama
>Gracie Barra

I'm sure I'll get ridiculed for this but I absolutely despise training in a GI so I'm thinking Gracie Barra is out of the picture since they are mainly GI.
I remember back when I was training, a lot of the guys would shit on 10th planet due to their funky training habits and unorthodox submissions/guards but that was almost 9 years ago and I have no idea what the reputation of any bjj school is now.

Also, is there any universally recommended gear that you guys use? Maybe that isn't absurdly expensive and is functional (i.e. recommended brands for shin guards and shorts etc). Appreciate any and all insight or just general advice for a beginner coming back

Anonymous No. 153219

>>153216
>Gracie Barra
literal scam
>10th planet
completely irrelevant now
>Team Oyama
¯\_( ͜͠ʖ ͠)_/¯

Anonymous No. 153234

>>152667
it’s normal digga it’s a weird acrobatic playfight who the f is gonna get used to it in a week

Anonymous No. 153311

>>153219
>>Gracie Barra
>literal scam
They're fine, you just need to make sure the coach is just using the branding as an excuse to teach all his own shit. Good signs of this are that people are violating 'uniform rules' and no one cares

Anonymous No. 153320

>>153216
>>153219
Isnt that the dude that trained that nigger Rampage Jackson early on? Im surprised hes still around. Team Oyama is coming for yo mama.

Anonymous No. 153451

>>153216
I thought SoCal was the perfect mecca of jiujitsu in the US and there were elite gyms with pans and worlds champs on every street corner.
-t., flyover state resident

Anyway, if you're 100% full time no-gi only, isn't 10th planet right up your alley? I thought their whole thing was that they only do no-gi.

As far as gear, if you can tolerate youtube shills, x-martial isn't bad. It's very chinese-y though, in the sense that the sizes are a little weird, shipping takes a while, customer service is ESL, and returns are a hassle. Quality is good though. I'm probably going to stick with Fuji (purchased through my gym) going forward.

Anonymous No. 153454

>>153451
>I thought SoCal was the perfect mecca of jiujitsu in the US
Was. Covid policy gutted its high level players though, and they've been slow about moving back when they do at all.

Anonymous No. 153486

>>153451
Friendly reminder ibjjf titles are meaningless, they have 22 age groups, 9 weight classes, 6 belt divisions, then gi and no gi, men and women
There are hundreds of "world champions" every year, between pans too you're talking in excess of 1000 high profile "championships" being won

Unless you're winning someting like ADCC or WNO it's worthless

Anonymous No. 153496

>>153216
Avoid GB. 10th planet isn't as niche as people think (i.e. not all rubberguard every class), but sometimes 10th plane gyms are full of retards. Just go check out some places with good reviews and maybe search them on the BJJ r*ddit to make sure there aren't horror stories. There is an AOJ academy in Costa Mesa, but they seem to take things pretty seriously.

>recommended gear
For gear, Sanabul is fine (available on Amazon). If you're really trying to be frugal and don't care, you can literally wear target/walmart compression clothing until it falls apart. Just make sure you get some grappling shorts that don't have pockets
>general advice
Just get in there. Not much to think about outside of finding a decent school. Try a free class at one that seems good and see how you like it.

Anonymous No. 153517

>>153496
>>153451
thanks guys. cheers

Image not available

427x286

1672893760200481.png

Anonymous No. 153536

>be fatass (losing weight but still fat af)
>joined bjj gym recently
>having fun but my gi pants keep coming off even though i tie them as hard as i can
nobody has said anything, everyone is supportive but i get the feeling the purple belts are getting tired of seeing my asscrack for the whole class

Anonymous No. 153545

>>153536
Same thing happens to me, my belly is so big it just pushes my pants down.
But I bought a second Gi, which is a Kingz one, and it goes way higher, almost up to the waist, so it's less likely to come off, or at least it's less likely that I'll show my buttcrack.
Let us just keep losing fat and gain muscle, fellow fat bro.

Anonymous No. 153546

>>153545
>Kingz
thanks anon, will take a look at these
wagmi

Anonymous No. 153551

I've seen so many BJJ guys pull guard
What the fuck is stopping me from just going full Boston crab on your ass for doing that?
Let me guess, some faggy Gracie rule?

Anonymous No. 153552

>>153486
Don't be a disingenous faggot. We all know which are actual world champions. Who gives a fuck about some instagram idiot claiming they are a "world champion"

Anonymous No. 153553

>>153486
That's amusing
Here in Japan Judo has only open weight class, only segregated by gender.
Winning an all Japan is therefore a huge deal

Anonymous No. 153555

>>153551
no spine locks allowed :^)

Anonymous No. 153557

>>153552
>Who gives a fuck about some instagram idiot claiming they are a "world champion"
any beginner looking up a bjj school for the first time and see IBJJF WORLD CHAMPION on the website
the people who matter, the entry level customers don't know the difference

like that one guy running an academy a few towns over, he's 60 and he's a world champion he'll let you know
Joe schmo IBJJF WORLD CHAMPION
what he wont tell you is he had only 1 other guy in his obese geriatric division and won a best of 3 for the "championship"

I'm not the one being disingenuous here, he and his ilk are. The title means nothing

Anonymous No. 153575

What can I do to stop sweating so much?

Anonymous No. 153577

>>153575
>What can I do to stop sweating so much?
Does it really fucking matter?
Just shower and wear a clean gi every time you train/compete and nobody will care.
Sweat isn't that gross, it's the stink that's gross

Anonymous No. 153584

>>153575
Bring a towel

Anonymous No. 153592

>>153553
Given the level of competitors coming out of Japan, I don't really give a shit if someone only won aa highschool invitational, they'll still probably toss your ass.

Anonymous No. 153593

>>153557
>that one guy running an academy a few towns over
Even if you were running a competitive business, he's 3 towns over. So you aren't losing students.

What are you wanting here? The IBJFF to go full IJF, lock down the weight clases and ranks, and homogenize competitions? There's some down sides. Go ask the Judo guys.

Anonymous No. 153646

if you have a favorite bjj sequence, what might that be? any go to set ups?

Anonymous No. 153650

>>153575
Scrupulously attend to your hygiene. Like the other guy said, being damp isn't really a big deal, but being stinky is utterly nasty.

Personally I've become adept at artfully angling my head during drilling so the sweat pouring off my face doesn't land in my partner's mouth. During rolling nobody cares.

Anonymous No. 153651

>>153646
Class, failure, home. Usually set up with undeserved confidence.

Anonymous No. 153653

>>153646
If I'm in top mount, and you have the AUDACITY to lift one of your shoulders and expose your back even a little bit, I shall instantly shoot my knee up your spine and chairsit the shit out of you! Once I sink my razor sharp meathooks into the tender flesh of your thicc thighs and have latched onto your back like a giant mutant tick, my sneaky snaky hands will slither around your defenses and latch onto your collar with the iron grip of Thor! And then I'll reach down, grab your pants, cut a ninety degree angle, and bow-and-arrow choke the SHIT out of you! No can defend!

Yes, I am a two-stripe white belt who just learned a new trick, why do you ask?

Anonymous No. 153657

>>153651
>>153653
redditor fags try talking like normal people

Anonymous No. 153658

>>153657
9gapers absolutely seething

Anonymous No. 153660

>>153657
Reddit can fuck off. Pardon me for being silly, but it was a silly question anyway.
What's your favorite sequence, coach white belt? You'd better deliver it in a John Wayne-esque bass monotone.

Anonymous No. 153662

>>153646
ippon seoi nage to arm bar while they're KO'd because BJJ guys cannot into falling

Anonymous No. 153678

>>153646
I've been hitting variations of this backstep on a lot of people lately: https://youtu.be/O7md_leDiMM

Often from SLX sweeps or some sort of leg lock exchange.

Anonymous No. 153707

What passes and in what order should I learn to be a Marcelo clone?

Image not available

1080x2280

Screenshot_202306....jpg

Anonymous No. 153716

Tick tock zuckerborg

Anonymous No. 153721

>>153716
> Fight canceled by his mom
> Video suddenly surfaces of Musk wrassling podcaster
Who fucking convinced Musk this was a good idea? I know he had doubts.

Anonymous No. 153740

>>153721
Dude
Not only is Musk a hyper brain, but he's also totally autistic.
All he needs to do is focus his autistic obsessiveness on filling his hyperbrain with fight knowledge and he will destroy Zuck, who is a mere mortal lizardman and not particularly bright or special

Anonymous No. 153756

how often do women beat guys at tournaments?

Image not available

720x480

Mikey-Musumeci-an....jpg

Anonymous No. 153758

>>153756
Considering that 99% of pure BJJ practitioners look like pic related...
Women win quite often

Anonymous No. 153789

>>153658
>>153660
I would rape you both on the mats and your captain america rashguards won’t shield your anuses

Anonymous No. 153790

>>153756
> Girls beating guys
> At gender segregated tourneys
Wut?

Anonymous No. 153792

>>153789
Why are we on top of matt. Sounds kinda gay.

Anonymous No. 153796

Would I be able to do BJJ with bad knees? One is currently injured and the other is fine, and I have been able to box for the last few weeks with no issues. Really want to get into a grappling art as well but nervous I’ll wreck my joints.

Anonymous No. 153805

>>153486
Where's yours then :^)

Anonymous No. 153807

>>153796
BJJ is probably the only grappling art you can do with bad knees. You'll become good friends with half guard, top and bottom.

Anonymous No. 153816

>>153807
Good to know. Reached out to my gym today about starting.

Image not available

427x400

bjjgirl.jpg

Anonymous No. 153970

How long does it take to get decent at BJJ?
I'm a late bloomer (23) training 6 days a week for 2 to 3 hours a day to make up for lost time

Is it even possible to reach the same kind of quality a kid would have who started since they were 10?

Anonymous No. 153995

>>153970
Depends on who they started under, whether or not they've burned out after doing it so long, and your own capacity for learning new skills. Outside of the permanently infirm and terminally unathletic elderly, it's all a crap shoot of possibility. Likely /= possible.

Anonymous No. 153996

What brands should I look for when buying a BJJ Gi? Which should I avoid? What price should I aim for?

Anonymous No. 154008

>>153970
Don't get injured and/or burn out from training too much. You can get really good really quickly if you have good instruction and train efficiently (positional sparring, learning systems, etc.)
I know people who were consistently tapping black belts within 2 years of training

Anonymous No. 154014

>>154008
It's all relative. Spatial awareness & kinesthesia are hard traits to develop for some people.

Anonymous No. 154019

>>153970
it's pretty wild how much press she gets, I'm not interested in hearing what someone winning in a division with such a low skill cap has to say

Anonymous No. 154023

>>154019
She's pretty and white, duh

Anonymous No. 154030

>>154023
>white
(((Begorrah)))

Anonymous No. 154031

>>154030
Is she really part of the tribe or are you shit posting

Anonymous No. 154038

>>154030
>>154031
Dudes, stfu. She's native Welsh no matter what faggy shit you're trying to imply. No outsider is gonna learn Welsh. Go, go learn Welsh, just fucking look at it, I dare you.

Anonymous No. 154050

>>154038
Boy your aggressive defense of its sure convinced me there's nothing to find

Anonymous No. 154055

>>154019
She's pretty accomplished in the women's divisions and would probably submit you if you're anywhere near her size.

Image not available

976x850

1670715914934670.png

Anonymous No. 154058

>>153970
>late bloomer (23)
shit nigga i just started and i'm 28

i feel bad now, am i fucked?

Anonymous No. 154074

>>154050
Some of us just hate /pol/cel bullshit. Keep it off blue boards nazi fag.

Anonymous No. 154075

>>154074
>us
Is that one of your pronouns?

Anonymous No. 154082

>not a peep about UFC Fight Pass Invitational
I knew you guys don't train, but I didn't know you don't watch
Also don't take baits from that faggot who thought Lachlan Giles was somehow in the (((tribe)))

Anonymous No. 154089

>>154055
>if you're anywhere near her size.
That's a big if though
It's like the most skilled woman is only as good as intermediate men

Anonymous No. 154100

>>153970
>>154058
Hush, children. I started when I was 34.
>some oldfag will now appear to say he started at age 52 and had to walk barefoot through the snow uphill both ways to go to the gym

By the time you're my age, you'll probably be a brown or black belts. I won't be a black belt til I'm in my latter 40s, at best. I'm a lifelong martial arts lover, but I was just training on my own for several years before I started BJJ. It was very bitter and painful for me to realize how much time I lost/wasted. I'd probably kill you to have started at age 28 or 23.

Not to sound like a hippy fag, but IMHO the important thing is to embrace your own journey without comparing yourself to others. You've heard this shit before, but I swear it's true. I take comfort in the fact that I'm going to be training for a long, long time, and even if I'm old and sucky, doing this shit even a little bit is better than not doing it at all.

Anonymous No. 154105

>>154082
I watched it. Great production but retarded rules. It's incredible how Gordon is basically the only one who can score on or submit a stalling opponent.
>stall
>get sat down by weird rule
>stand up
>stall
>pray that you hold onto the guys back for a long time

Anonymous No. 154111

>>153970
>>154058
>>154100
I started at 13 in 2002. I sucked ass until recently when I got my first black belt win in comp 3 years ago. Age is but a number.

Anonymous No. 154113

>>154100
I started at 32 and wanted to write exactly what you did, but thought "fuck them and their self-defeating mentality"

Anonymous No. 154114

>>154105
I agree that EBI rules are terrible, so does everyone. Not even the athletes can grasp them, Haisam thought he won. That moment when a referee threw a coin and it almost fell out the arena was a scene straight out of Benny Hill.
UFC seems to be putting more emphasis on grappling, saying they will do a total of 20 events in a span of a year. I think that's BS, but even 10 events with a different rule set would be great with this production.

Anonymous No. 154115

>>151214
Keeping the jaw up in the rnc is retarded, the risk of anyone actually crushing your jaw is far less than the risk of letting you opponent choke you like a cuck

Anonymous No. 154119

>>152850
I don't know or care who that is but just do ameriana from side control or full mount, is low risk and simple.

Anonymous No. 154123

>>153796
>>153816
Fellow cripple anon, how is boxing? I had my lcl stapled back on and acl repaired, and was looking to do a striking art in addition to jits

Anonymous No. 154135

what would you make of this?
My coach usually rolls with specific people and EVERY time we happen to roll together, he goes 110% and every time, i end up hurt.

1) the first time i caught him in a cross collar from bottom and he took his knee and dropped it into my mouth - i bled and he said 'oh sorry'

2) last night we did positional training and he was behind me by taking my back. he took my arm and I knew he was going for an armbar, so I gently and slowly made adjustments so i could turn and pull my arm into me.
He yanked my arm completely out, turned my wrist to the floor and hipped straight up popping my elbow. I screamed "FUCK" because I lost feeling in my arm for a moment.
again., "sorry didnt mean to do that"

now its not broken, but I'm like 'what the fuck is up with this guy?"

I tried to talk with him about it and hes apologetic, didnt mean it, etc

but every time we get together like that he goes waaaaaay too far

Anonymous No. 154137

>>154135
>coach
doesn't seem like an isolated incident, does he roll like that with other students?

Anonymous No. 154139

instructionals from...
>Gordon Ryan
autistic logic gate stuff, I love it. Quickest results and most actionable if your brain works that way. there's some random self-aggrandizing throughout

>John Danaher
structured like a university lecture, repetitive with lots of concepts and selectively detailed to excess on certain areas. Makes the implicit explicit and articulates stuff specifically to embed it into your head

>Lachlan Giles
feels like an encyclopedia, offering a sweeping view and pretty exhaustive, perfect for continued and repeated reference in a way that many others aren't

Anonymous No. 154154

>>154135
He either doesn't like you or can't "lose". So if you're able to tap him then he really can't stand that. A lot of people are like that. Try some other gyms.

Anonymous No. 154156

>>154154
Like its so easy to find. Not that anon but there is 1 semi-legit gym here & it's full of crazy ass super aggro corrections officers.
>We are right next to a prison.
The next closest one is over an hour away :(

Anonymous No. 154157

>>154156
Well that sucks. You can always move.

Anonymous No. 154161

>>154156
I guess I'm spoiled, can't go 15 minutes without finding a school with a big name
I should move to bumblefuck and open one up
How much do memberships cost where you are? It's time for research

Image not available

200x200

1568ae76856a0490b....jpg

Anonymous No. 154180

>>154161
I'm near stl and they are $130-150 a month
IBJJF STL tomorrow! Good luck, everyone.

Anonymous No. 154201

>>154137
No he doesn’t. Usually it’s full of technical set ups and pressure passing. Stuff you would see on instructional sets. This was pure power and muscle

Anonymous No. 154209

>>154154
Now that I’m thinking about it , there’s a good chance he doesn’t like me and went too far unintentionally.

If that’s the case fuck him - but I do have quite a few friends there so now I’m gonna have to figure a way to stay in contact while I not deal with this fella much anymore.

Anonymous No. 154217

Does anyone have links for the UFC Invitational 4?
It's not on mmacore

Anonymous No. 154244

cute guy working at walmart came home with me and after frotting, we cuddled
so ready to go practice now!

Anonymous No. 154282

>>154244
Dont make fun of bjj you bitch

I know 87,000 ways of having gay sex with you

Anonymous No. 154287

Why does my hip hurt? Any of you fags that have been doing this for a while, do you just ignore it? I've given it a week and it still aches and pops.

Anonymous No. 154290

>>154287
Stop getting "humbled" so much by the brown belts and start training hip thrusts

Anonymous No. 154301

>>154287
Do you stretch or do mobility exercises or do literally fucking anything outside of class

Anonymous No. 154302

Jesus christ jones v. Pena was so boring. Hope all you "guiz we need more takedowns" fags are happy, everybody just stalls on the feet without repercussion. The .01% of humans that actually watch bjj are losing what little interest they had.

Anonymous No. 154304

>>154301
Yeah. If this shit turns out to be an impingement or some other permanent ailment I'm gonna be butthurt.

Anonymous No. 154306

hey so I had a match earlier today
guy pulled so I was able to move into half guard but then he swept me, got two points and I put him into my half guard for the rest of the match

I guess that's how it goes sometimes

Anonymous No. 154308

>>154302
People think that they want the action of wrestling and the tossing of judo, without somehow also needing to take on a points/pin/ippon system that either have to encourage those actions. Or that all of the various not legal in either submission holds don't suddenly make many of those maneuvers much different in at least being countered if not outright handing away the match.

Anonymous No. 154312

>>154308
All you really need to do is penalize pulling and reward amplitude
It's about creating the incentives

Anonymous No. 154326

>>154312
No because then there is just lots of stalling on the feet. Submission wrestling punishes reckless takedown attempts, meaning you have to set them up more, meaning you have to commit your opponent more in a particular direction, meaning you yourself have to commit more. But the more you commit the more likely it is that you will be countered, so this makes submission wrestling stand up inherently more cautious compared to non submission variations. So if you penalise pulling too hard then the entire match will just be two guys getting and losing collar ties and make really lame attempts at single legs in order to make it look like they are doing something and not get called out by the judges. Stand up is easily the most boring part of bjj.

Anonymous No. 154329

>>154326
it's boring because the guys doing it suck at it, they have no incentive to learn it
it was baffling to me as a blue/yellow belt when I was blowing black belts minds with really basic judo throws like sumi gaeshi counter to single legs and a morote. they had me teach it to them. there was a brown belt that had never even seen that before which is nuts to me

I'm sure if big explosive throws are able to score points to make them worth while you'll see a lot more of them
danaher said the tremendous amount of energy needed to get a takedown is not worth the 2 points you get from it. You're better off just sitting on the floor where the big scoring positions are.
The juice just isn't worth the squeeze

Anonymous No. 154331

>>154329
Nogi guys are getting better at stand up but it's still not going to change the inherently conservative and thus boring nature of submission wrestling stand up.

You would have to heavily incentivise big explosive throws, but if you do that you basically just turn bjj into judo, where only the throw really matters and that's against the spirit of bjj, which is all about getting the submission. If you don't heavily score big throws you get current bjj, if you do you get people going for big throws and then stalling in the guard as all the thrower needs to do is just wait out the round and they win. There is no middle ground either, it simply instantly switches from being stand up stalling to ground stalling. Currently a takedown being only worth two points means that it's a nice leg up on the scoreboard but it's not a comfortable lead, the bottom guy still has serious attacking chances to level the playing field, so the top guy is much better off trying to pass guard and play a ground game. Thus would probably be true even with 3 points. But 4 and especially five points changes things. That's such a commanding lead that the best strategy for the thrower is to just engage as little as possible or just sit in whatever pin they currently have. Congratulations you now have judo.

Anonymous No. 154335

>>154326
>Stand up is easily the most boring part of bjj.

Really because I was at the IBJJF earlier today and watched a fat >300lb guy throw someone with a seo-nagi and it was wonderful.

Double guard pulls are the most boring thing about jiu jitsu

Anonymous No. 154336

>>154335
occasionally you can see some fantastic aerial shit but most of the time its lots of boring grip fighting and the occasional low risk decent reward single leg or other similar moves. I have never seen a double guard pull in nogi. That would just turn it into a heel hookathon

Anonymous No. 154341

>>154336
Yeah I don't know what you can do about that. As I progress longer in the sport, I better understand the importance of grip fighting. I guess that's just going to be a big part of it.

Anonymous No. 154355

>>153796
grappling is so much worse for your joints than striking it’s insane, weird af how BJJ/SW is shilled as less injury prone when it’s quite the opposite especially if you don’t compete in striking

Anonymous No. 154376

>>154355
BJJ is built on a house of lies
People say that because that's how it's marketed and how dare you question the [self promoted] grandmasters!

It's just like how they say choking someone out isn't harmful to them
Based on what exactly? You have any data to back that up or are you just asserting it?
I guarantee rendering someone unconscious with a choke is harmful to their brain even if you let go the moment it happens. As would be training chokes over and over again.
You know how when you do a session based around chokes and everyone starts getting groggy and headaches? You're giving each other fucking brain damage.

Maybe it's less bad than getting KO'd but we know it's a cumulative effect so it washes out since bjj players are getting choked way more than boxers are getting KOd during training

Anonymous No. 154383

>>154376
>I guarantee rendering someone unconscious with a choke is harmful to their brain even if you let go the moment it happens. As would be training chokes over and over again.
>source: your ass

Bjj wins again

Anonymous No. 154384

>>154383
>90% of street fights go to the ground
>source: ricksons ass

Anonymous No. 154397

>>154376
The thing is that with BJJ, these issues are mostly speculative, particularly as people aren't typically choking to unconsciousness or with maximal aggression. Even at peak competitive levels BJJ has built a culture of tapping at the point you realize
>They've genuinely got you good, the fight is effectively over, tap prior to unconsciousness.
So most of the risks of chokes in BJJ are at worst speculative.

By comparison, we have VERY long and well-documented records that getting thrown, punched in the head, and otherwise tackled is bad for the brain. The truth is likely that all contact and combat sports are inherently bad for the body, BJJ just happens to be one of the few generally built around showing restraint on maximizing that damage

Anonymous No. 154412

>>154384
>strawman, the post
Good job being a dumb faggot. Even helio laughed at Rickson. Its painful watching BJJ win again and again

Anonymous No. 154414

>>154397
I will disagree with your post. Chokes are not completely harm free. Look up carotid artery dissection. Your arteries in your neck are like a garden hose. There's only so much bend and elasticity in them. You kink a garden hose over and over, it loses some of its flex over time. Add some arterial plaque to the mix. It gets worse with age. Tap early to those chokes (strangles). Strokes too forgot about that.

Image not available

852x854

checked your data.png

Anonymous No. 154417

>>154414
"Can be caused" and "is frequently caused" are very different things.

It seems very infrequent, and It feels notable to me that when I went looking for literature on this as it relates to BJJ, basically all I found was https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5678212/, in which a single case having occurred and causing a stroke was sufficiently unexpected and notable enough to lead to a research paper in response. If this was regularly happening, a single case being seen having happened probably wouldn't have merited a paper, or the 2017 paper would've called those cases out.

This is also backed up by https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/18/19/10047/pdf, which analyzed a bunch of different sports and their stroke impacts on people. It found 40 non-duplicate instances of athletes who had a stroke attributable to prior athletic activity, in total, in the last 50 years. Of these, only 1 was Jiu jitsu - by comparison,
>12 were football, 2 were rugby
>3 were baseball
>3 were wrestling
>2 were boxing
>1 was TKD
This would seem to indicate that BJJ is around normal levels of stroke risk, and probably is broadly safer than most other sports.

I think at this point if you've got data that says otherwise, the onus is now on you to pony it up, or admit that you're basically fearmongering against literally all sports in general if this is your concern.

Anonymous No. 154419

>>154417
>if you've got data that
Try not to be too much of a datafag and use common sense
A sport that uniquely takes what for our purposes we will call a rope, but I'm talking about the collar and lapel
And forcibly uses it to cut off blood supply by pinching the arteries shut
And this is an action repeated over and over
To say that isn't going to carry an increased risk of damage to the arteries in the neck compared to things that don't do so is foolish

The second issue with datafagging is the absence of a controlled study you are relying on self-reporting
And in addition to that massive hurdle you need to overcome, You then have people that may not even make the connection because the stroke doesn't always happen at the time of the injury
You have someone practicing clock chokes, they get a dissection and don't even realize it, then a month later they sneeze and shoot a clot while they are out walking their dog

Don't lose the forest for the trees

Anonymous No. 154422

>>154419
So in other words you're a fearmongering fag

Cool, plz fuck off and fissect your head from your neck

Anonymous No. 154423

>>154422
It came from a lab bro, get over it

Anonymous No. 154429

>>154422
take the vax goy

Image not available

498x375

spongebob-fish-di....gif

Anonymous No. 154430

>>154419
>>Try not to be too much of a datafag and use common sense
No, it's important to care about data in this discussion. I already explained why just appealing to
>"come on, this is common sense, they're choking each other a lot!"
isn't good enough here in >>154397, BJJ's very careful about encouraging early surrender. Even at top competitions, typically only the threat of the mechanics you're describing is in play, and only rarely the actual mechanics themselves.

You keep trying to turn the question into
>are chokes capable of causing bodily harm?
Because they obviously can, and obviously as a combat sport, there is risk of long-term harms. The actual important question when talking about risk is
>how common is downstream serious harm as a result?

The data seems to indicate the answer in BJJ is
>extremely rare, both compared to other combat sports and other normal sports
>in fact, so rare even just one incident was considered notable

>the stroke doesn't always happen at the time of the injury
Yes, this was addressed in the second paper. They weren't only examining time of injury, but any instance of later attribution. We're comparing attributions over time across sports. Doing so, BJJ looks good - it shows up less than basically any other sport or combat sport in terms of inflicting strokes

If you want a control, that control should be "doing no sports" . If you look at https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1161/STROKEAHA.108.527978, It finds BJJ and every other sports gives you great protection against stroke:
>Recent regular sports activities were less often reported by stroke patients (25.4%) than by control subjects (43.8%)
>recent participation in sports was significantly associated with reduced odds of stroke/TIA
>Our study supports previous results that have shown stroke protection by physical activity.

Again, do you actually have any data, are you ready to admit being wrong yet, or are you just gonna keep making dogshit common sense appeals?

Anonymous No. 154432

>>154430
>>154430
But muh logics

They seem to not understand that simply the problem is not whether it carries risks. The part about not getting lost in data is right in that case if we simply think of it as a yes or not binary question of course if we leave at that and not get more rigorous with what it means to carry a risk.

The actual problem is rather to WHAT extent and that answer is only good with data

Anonymous No. 154433

>>154430
no, you need to throw out anything that says sports = fewer strokes actually
strokes are caused by poor health in general, not just physical injuries. People that engage in sports are more likely to have better health overall and less cardiovascular disease in general
but to say that means there isn't a stroke risk is just survivors bias
what you would need to compare is someone doing bjj vs that same person living exactly the same lifestyle except they don't do bjj
not an athlete vs a couch potato

take me for example, I have a torn labrum in my shoulder, a bulging disk in my neck causing reduced feeling in my left arm, a completely torn ATFL and the accompanying arthritis, and not yet confirmed through imaging but very likely meniscus damage in my right knee
all of these are injuries caused by doing jiujitsu. If I did everything else in my life exactly the same except just didn't do jiujitsu I would be in perfect health.
this shit isn't good for you, ask anyone that's done it for a few years what their body feels like.

Anonymous No. 154435

Anyone thinking they have a complete grasp on what does or does not definitively cause brain damage, has brain damage.

Image not available

728x479

statlets.jpg

Anonymous No. 154437

>>154432
>The actual problem is rather to WHAT extent and that answer is only good with data
Improve reading comprehension. I literally already said and addressed that:
>how common is downstream serious harm as a result?
>The data seems to indicate the answer in BJJ is "extremely rare, both compared to other combat sports and other normal sports - so rare even just one incident was considered notable"

>>154433
>what you would need to compare is someone doing bjj vs that same person living exactly the same lifestyle except they don't do bjj
The data I'm providing IS that, it captures
>across the broad spectrum of these "better health" individuals (athletes), what sports cause people to later have a stroke linked to damage sustained in their sport?
Looking at that data, it seems to indicate BJJ outperforms other sports and combat sports on this by having fewer long-term strokes.

>Re: BJJ causes other injuries, we shouldn't disregard this
I agree. Combat sports are all hard on the body - though, again, as a combat sport, there will always be risks. The question we should care about is
>for those who wish to train a combat sport, is BJJ less injurious than alternatives?
Which very much it is.

Considering https://www.researchgate.net/publication/273663451_Assessment_of_Injuries_During_Brazilian_Jiu-Jitsu_Competition, it, too, is beating out other combat sports on this metric:
>Comparison of the BJJ injury data with injury data reported for judo, taekwondo, wrestling, and mixed martial arts showed that BJJ competitors were at substantially lower risk of injury compared with these other sports

>>154435
We don't have a complete grasp, but the data we've got presently seems to indicate BJJ does less than other sports and combat sports. More data could come out later and change this, but it's fairly clear none of the detractors here have any of that data, especially given they're now trying to change the subject to other injuries since they got BTFO'd on strokes.

Anonymous No. 154438

>>154437
>trying to change the subject to other injuries since they got BTFO'd on strokes
you're the one hung up on strokes for some reason, the original assertion>>154376 didn't mention strokes at all, it was talking about cumulative brain damage from repeatedly induced episodes of hypoxia

Anonymous No. 154439

>>154438
Of which the purported mechanism of damage is stroke. Quick google gives
>Carotid artery dissection is a condition whereby the layers of the carotid artery are spontaneously separated. This potentially compromises blood flow to certain areas of the brain and can lead to a stroke.
If they claim there's other damage, let them claim it and quantify that, but they haven't done so in any specifically discussible way besides the above, which doesn't seem to bear out in the data.

Anonymous No. 154441

>>154439
>Of which the purported mechanism of damage is stroke
no the mechanism of damage is pinching the arteries shut so blood can't be delivered causing the person to quickly become unconscious
or lets make it less severe, just until they feel they're about to slip away and then normal blood flow is restored since that's more realistic most of the time. People will get choked and hang on until the last moment then come back from the edge of space.

you're looking in the wrong place. Stop looking at sports and exercise, start looking at hypoxia
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8756468/

Anonymous No. 154445

>>154441
The studies in the space you're presenting don't inspire much confidence in correctness in the case of BJJ.

The source says
>brief and subacute hypoxic insults are repeatedly applied, sustained brain damage may develop as repeated stress accumulates
Then describes two studies performed by the same researcher doing gerbil to induce that. Both were gerbil studies where on an anesthetized animal,
>Mid-cervical skin incision was made and bilateral common carotid arteries were gently exposed and occluded with aneurysmal clips for 2 min. Three occlusions were repeated at 1-h interval
Meaning they quite literally severed full bloodflow to the brain of the gerbils for 2 minutes straight. The other study did the same, with smallest interval being 1 minute of completely severed brain bloodflow.
The zebrafish study you posted does much the same, inducing 5 minutes of hypoxia on the fish before checking for impacts.

In a typical BJJ fight, severance of bloodflow will not be total during most chokes someone taps to. Taps will typically be early and will occur when the potential for a strong choke exists - the other person will typically tap out immediately after only a second or two of a choking position being being successfully achieved, not applied. Most importantly from my perspective, the above experimental choke lengths are considered absolutely unacceptable in human fights, and a 1 minute choke on someone whose out, or 5 minutes straight of hypoxia, would be seen as extremely abnormal conditions in a BJJ match.

I see these studies as grounds for concern continual research in the space and monitoring of those who've participated in the sport, but barring that data existing? I wouldn't worry too much about it as a hypothetical compared to, eg, CTE risk in most other combat sports - especially given substantially lower injury rates in the sport compared to other combat sports.

Anonymous No. 154448

>>154437
>Improve reading comprehension. I literally already said and addressed that

You retard i agree with you this was addressing the forest and tree guy. I was giving him the bigger picture more bluntly

Anonymous No. 154449

>>154448
misread that, my bad.

Anonymous No. 154452

>>154449
>>154448
The ironing

Anonymous No. 154464

>>154463

Migrate when ready

Anonymous No. 154751

>>151159
How far can I get in BJJ wearing my judo gis and not buying BJJ gis?

Anonymous No. 155326

>>151351
Sounds like you have a shitty gym if your best guy is getting messed up by a blue belt

Anonymous No. 155532

https://youtu.be/z5UIYjZB9bE

can you beat her?

Anonymous No. 155533

>>155532
They're just trying to sniff that lightskin tit sweat

Anonymous No. 155535

>>151351
the tranny heel hooked your teacher?

Anonymous No. 155585

>>151159
What

Anonymous No. 155738

I had my first BJJ class yesterday.
Is it normal for the school to blast music during exercises?

Anonymous No. 155811

>>155738
>During warmups?
Yeah, you're just doing burpees or whatever, no one gives a shit.

>During the instructional segment?
Maybe quietly or dimmed, but loudly? Definitely not. The focus is the move and concepts they're teaching.

>During positional rolls?
Usually. It'll still be a little quieter than normal though because instructors like to chime in on how people are fighting.

>During free rolling?
Yeah.